Considered Future Upgrades

sted

Rising Star
I've been considering upgrades ahead of time for a while. Some of it is quite straight forward in what I want, but a couple of things I'm a bit cloudy on.

Though before I go on to all of that, I havent noticed any of the wrist straps for when doing anything within the computers case. Would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction? And also, I'd imagine some would have extended their warranty, just wondering how I would go about that if I was to do so?

All currently considered upgrades are as followed:

• RAM 8GB 2x4 (Raising the current to 16 GB with this addition)
  • GTX 780
  • 2TB Caviar Black
  • 2 x iiyama 22" Monitors (Mainly just an option of consideration for now)
  • Sennheiser 320 headset (Highest considered price for now) or MadCatz Tritton 180 headset (cheapest considered)

^
Comes to roughly £900 for all of that. But since the most likely things to be dropped are the monitors, the price can be reduced to £771 without them, and further dropped to £748 with the cheapest headset I'm considering, though a 4GB 770 can take it down a nice bit - Down to £607 roughly.
------------------------------------

GPU & Additional Monitors:

I've got a new desk (finally) which is to be (eventually) put together for my room, and if it can manage I'm wanting two additional monitors for the PC. So for now, that's mostly just a consideration until I put the desk together and make sure it can have three monitors placed atop without any trouble, and then whether the GPU can handle it.The problem is, I have a GTX 670 and was considering SLI at some point and no 670 upgrade option any longer - but with the 7 series out I'm thinking a single 780. I can't SLI 770's or 780's without replacing the PSU, which I'd just prefer not to for now.

I'm wondering if a single 780 can handle games on a Tri-monitor set up, if anyone can help there? As a side note, I'm wanting to achieve as close to max settings as I can for a good time on, so if 3-monitors will make that a struggle for just the one 780, I'll easily decide against the additional monitors. I'm wanting the new GPU even if I just carry on with the one monitor, and I'm expecting the 790 to be madly expensive if the 690 was/is anything to go by, so I'm willing to go for the 780 at most I think - Two 4GB 770's would be nice, but there's the PSU thing then, and also jumps up by some over £200 above a single 780 without the higher PSU yet accounted for.

RAM:
I'm hoping to up the RAM with an additional 8GB 2x4, but there's no problem I've ran in to with that decision, and is the most solid decision along with the additional HDD.

Headset:
My current headset is a Turtle beach x12, while adequate for my needs, they get quite uncomfortable. The MadCatz Tritton AX 180 I was thinking (£52), but may consider getting something up to the Sennheiser 320's, which jumps to £75. Both from PCS. I mostly want decent sound, and good comfort for when using over prolonged lengths of time, and since the Sound Card turned out to be faulty, I'm thinking of just not using one at all and keeping with the on-board - I possibly wouldn't personally hear the difference in quality anyway.

HDD:
I'm wanting an additional 2TB Caviar black since I've already ate 400GB of the current 1TB (I don't really put anything on the SSD, besides anti-virus and applications that don't give the choice).
I wanted the 2TB from the start along with the 1TB, so I could have games exclusively, or at least mostly on the 2TB, with just about anything else on the 1TB (Music, documents, pictures etc) - But I think just putting mostly games on the 2TB from then on will have to do since they're often the most space demanding things, rather than trying to move masses of files from one to the other when I get it.​

I'm hoping to do all the upgrades myself, since I need/want the experience. This all is probably quite some time away, since I need to make sure I can get the upgrades without shooting myself in the foot from spending too much at one time when money may be required elsewhere.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated, and general advice also. Hope it's not too headache provoking to read, tried to lay it out to look less annoying to the eyes.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I'm wondering if a single 780 can handle games on a Tri-monitor set up
For demanding games at high settings no. Do you mean the gtx 670 is not an option in the upgrade section? Why don't you just buy it somewhere else? I would definitely consider a 2nd gtx 670 over a gtx 780.

sted

Rising Star
Do you mean the gtx 670 is not an option in the upgrade section?

Yeah, that's the one. I hadn't considered buying elsewhere for another GPU, good idea. When I specced my PC, I'm fairly sure that I could get a second 670 with my 750 PSU according to the config, but that was a while ago now and not sure if I remember correctly. Are there sites that can calculate it, do you know?

And thanks for the input.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
2nd gtx 670 with your PSU will be fine, go for it and significantly better than a single gtx 780.

sted

Rising Star
That's great then, especially considering the price difference in the two. Thanks!

sted

Rising Star
Case
ZALMAN Z11 PLUS BLACK MID TOWER CASE

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 670 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX750 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£86)

Processor Cooling
Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler (£19)

Extra Case Fans
1 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof) (£5)

Sound Card
ASUS Xonar DS - Bring Hi-Fi spirit to your Music, Movie & Games (£39)

Wireless Router
2 x HomePlug 200Mbps - Turn any Electrical Socket into a Network (£38)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365

Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Monitor
IIYAMA E2273HS 22" LED WIDESCREEN, HDMI/DVI-D 1920x1080 (£134)

Keyboard & Mouse
Razer® Deathstalker Expert Gaming Keyboard (£69)
Mouse

Razer® Deathadder 2013 Gaming Mouse (£59)

Speakers
LOGITECH S220 2.1 SILVER/BLACK SPEAKER SYSTEM (£20)

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery

I imagine with the removal of the sound card, fitting a second GPU would be more easily done? I seem to recall reading that it can cause additional heat depending on placement, and the sound card is currently right under the GPU I have.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I wouldnt bother adding a second 670 to be honest. Unless you 100% are going to get more screens.

I had two 580s at one point running two screens, but gaming on one. It was a waste of time really. I got a few more frames, but I also ended up with loads of noise, heat and alot more power from the wall.

I'd probably sell the 670, you are still going to get about 200+ for it. Then go for a stronger single 4GB card. Such as GTX 770.

Sure you could spend another £300 on another 670, then in 6months time you will regret it for the heat and noise like i did.

sted

Rising Star
Very good point. When I had a computer in my room a few years back it was heating the whole room up rapidly, even in winter with the window open. I'll work out if I can manage 3 screens on the desk, and from there try to decide if I definitely want to take that route, then. But now just getting a single better card sounds the most appealing, less heat and power consumption is always a good thing. Thanks for the help.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Very good point. When I had a computer in my room a few years back it was heating the whole room up rapidly, even in winter with the window open. I'll work out if I can manage 3 screens on the desk, and from there try to decide if I definitely want to take that route, then. But now just getting a single better card sounds the most appealing, less heat and power consumption is always a good thing. Thanks for the help.

I would still suggest another gtx 670, cheaper and better than a single gtx 780. I assume you were planning to sli, I don't think it is good value to get a newer single card and the hassle of trying to sell your gtx 670. You will also need to upgrade your PSU for 2 x gtx 780s.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you could probably stick with the 670 to be honest. The only cards from nvidia that are stronger would be a 680,770 780 or a titan. So if you look at it like that, you probably dont need to upgrade it at all.

the 770 and 780s actually use more power than the 670's/680's. From what i have read anyway.

if you wanna upgrade something that isnt too expensive, why not add/change a couple of case fans? add some lighting if you have a window.

Or go for the extra screens. I have found two screens are incredibly useful, running on a single 680, so your card could easily run two or three screens I wouldnt expect you could game over three screens with just one 670, but it would be able to run them. Also, might be worth checking if you actually suit three screens. I know it sounds great, but im sure there are pro's and con's to it.

sted

Rising Star
Yeah. Going by what you both have mentioned, I'm thinking SLI 670's for multiple monitors, but if I decide against to not get the three monitors, then a single 4GB 770, though not necessarily straight away since the 670 still serves well enough for now.

I wasn't currently planning to SLI 780's at all really, as I've not ever added or removed anything from a computer before - I've been watching a few tutorial vids to show how with a few components, but I think it may be a bit much for my first time try to take out the GPU (or add a second), Sound card and PSU - then add the new RAM, GPU and PSU.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I would still suggest another gtx 670, cheaper and better than a single gtx 780. I assume you were planning to sli, I don't think it is good value to get a newer single card and the hassle of trying to sell your gtx 670. You will also need to upgrade your PSU for 2 x gtx 780s.

I disagree, you dont need two 670s for gaming over a single screen at 1920x1080. Yeah I know i did it, and it wasn't cost effective at all. All the cost, heat, power and noise for a few extra frames when. Not to mention with the IIyama screens being 60hz/60frames, you wont even get the benefit of those higher frames, cause the monitor wont display them.

sted

Rising Star
Also, might be worth checking if you actually suit three screens. I know it sounds great, but im sure there are pro's and con's to it.

Oh, yeah. I've been wondering about that for a long time now. I am a bit worried about whether it would or wouldn't work out. The largest screen I've used for PC is 22", so an additional two monitors will be a major change from that, not to mention adjusting to keeping an eye on multiple screens.

I've been planning to get a second screen for a while, too, if I decide not to go Tri-monitor in gaming, for multi-tasking on the net, listening to music, looking at pictures etc, which I assume is much more reasonable to go with and adjust to.

steaky360

I don't think you need to keep an eye over the three screens. I don't (yet) have a multi-monitor set-up but from what I've seen of them its more a peripheral input on the extra screens and you still focus primarily on the main screen.

sted

Rising Star
you wanna upgrade something that isnt too expensive, why not add/change a couple of case fans? add some lighting if you have a window.

Oops, missed that bit when I first read over it. When I got the PC, I tried to add 2 additional fans to the case, but it said only 1 could be added, so not sure where I may be able to fit additional ones. Wouldn't mind some extra blue lights to go in, though no idea how I'd add them.

Edit
I don't think you need to keep an eye over the three screens. I don't (yet) have a multi-monitor set-up but from what I've seen of them its more a peripheral input on the extra screens and you still focus primarily on the main screen.

Oh. That does make sense. Haha

My impulsive side is telling me to get the 3 monitors and second 670, but my bank is screaming in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I disagree, you dont need two 670s for gaming over a single screen at 1920x1080. Yeah I know i did it, and it wasn't cost effective at all. All the cost, heat, power and noise for a few extra frames when. Not to mention with the IIyama screens being 60hz/60frames, you wont even get the benefit of those higher frames, cause the monitor wont display them.

From the first post I understood he was asking whether a single gtx 780 will be enough for surround. I may have misread the post but my advice was based on Sted using 3 screens.

sted

Rising Star
From the first post I understood he was asking whether a single gtx 780 will be enough for surround.

Yeah, that's right. I think Tom was just saying it's only really worth going for SLI with the 670's if I am definitely going for 3 monitors, otherwise it's mostly wasted on my current resolution and monitor if I stick to just the one.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
From the first post I understood he was asking whether a single gtx 780 will be enough for surround. I may have misread the post but my advice was based on Sted using 3 screens.

Yeah, that's right. I think Tom was just saying it's only really worth going for SLI with the 670's if I am definitely going for 3 monitors, otherwise it's mostly wasted on my current resolution and monitor if I stick to just the one.

Yeah Pretty much what Sted said lol.

For triple screens I'd want two of the best cards I could afford. Ideally with 3 or 4gb of Vram which would be used in higher resolutions. But, it might be worth checking review for 2gb 670 sli vs 4gb 670 sli, to check what the difference is going to be.

sted

Rising Star
I think I saw a 4GB 670 when I was checking before on eBay. Think they were below £300 (each) from top rated retail sellers.