Considering Recoil V 15.6 - can Nvidia GPU be completely powered down?

Mnemonic

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, I'm considering purchasing the Recoil 15.6 with the AMD Ryzen 9 5900H and Nvidia RTX 3070.

Does anyone know if it's possible to completely power off the Nvidia GPU (so the unit runs off completely off the integrated GPU on the Ryzen 9 5900HX)?

Last edited:

Mnemonic

Bronze Level Poster
Have emailed PCS support and asked them if there's an iGPU ONLY option i the BIOS for the Recoil 15.6 with AMD 5900HX, and this is the response I got:
Second line tech support have confirmed this laptop would have IGPU settings in the BIOS followed by MSHybrid and GPU graphics.
After receiving this info, I immediately placed my order.
Hoping the Recoil will be in my grubby little hands next week :)

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Have emails PCS support and asked them if there's an iGPU ONLY option i the BIOS for the Recoil 15.6 with AMD 5900HX, and this is the response I got:

After receiving this info, I immediately placed my order.
Hoping the Recoil will be in my grubby little hands next week :)
I'm not sure you're reading the response correctly, BIOS settings are normally a MUX switch which switches between MSHybrid and dGPU only, it has no way of fully disabling the nvidia graphics.

Mnemonic

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not sure you're reading the response correctly, BIOS settings are normally a MUX switch which switches between MSHybrid and dGPU only, it has no way of fully disabling the nvidia graphics.
Are you saying it's not possible on the Recoil 15.6 inch with AMD 5900HX and Nvidia RTX 3070? It is possible on other PCS laptops, like the Ionico 17

Hmmmm... Now I'm anxious again, really need this setting. I'll contact PCS support again, will see what they say. I was very clear when asking the first time, will see if I get a different answer this time.

1631198246399.png

1631198290941.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Mnemonic

Bronze Level Poster

I have asked PCS again, this is the reply:

I have been advised that one of the earlier BIOS’s did not have the option to run in discrete mode.
The newer BIOS’s have the iGPU, MSHybrid and Discrete modes.

Will update here once I have the laptop.

Mr_Lemons

I have asked PCS again, this is the reply:

Will update here once I have the laptop.
Hi OP - I have been mulling over which chassis to go for, and quite like the idea of being able to extend battery life by disabling the GPU for word processing etc. I've been looking at the same spec as you've got here - how are you getting on with this laptop since you bought it?

cheers