Console gamer wants to buy first gaming pc

Tom_P

Bronze Level Poster
Feeding in from a similar personal experience - in this case PUBG rather than Warzone, but the principles will be the same - I'd go with the advice of others, stick with the 1440p 144Hz. I moved from running PUBG chugging along on an older laptop (860M GPU) @1080p to running on a desktop 2060 Super @1440p (think I have the same LG display as you). I'd say that the additional clarity of the 1440p display (especially for spotting people at long range), and removing the framerate drops, has been far more useful than the raw FPS increase.

You could try what JamiePhillips has said, I think the Series X is pretty open for keyboard & mouse compatibility (possibly as simple as plug-and-play) - although you'll probably be bad with them if you're used to controllers.

To be honest, spending a load of money to squeeze out a few FPS extra on a lower resolution for a specific game doesn't sound worthwhile to me, but I guess it's your money!

Ash_

Master Poster
So the 3

The 3060ti will that hit higher frames at 1080p say 160fps plus, i know fov is massive on pc another reason for switching over thanks for reply.
3060ti will hit 140fps @ 1080p in high settings, 105fps @ 1440p in high settings.

So 1080p in medium/low settings you’ll hit probably 180fps or so, but it’s unlikely you’ll notice a difference and the older you are... the less you will notice (just the way its works with age).

i believe Linus has a video comparing 60/144/240hz and 60-144 is massive jump. 144-240 with was small (pro players too).

Ash_

Master Poster
Feeding in from a similar personal experience - in this case PUBG rather than Warzone, but the principles will be the same - I'd go with the advice of others, stick with the 1440p 144Hz. I moved from running PUBG chugging along on an older laptop (860M GPU) @1080p to running on a desktop 2060 Super @1440p (think I have the same LG display as you). I'd say that the additional clarity of the 1440p display (especially for spotting people at long range), and removing the framerate drops, has been far more useful than the raw FPS increase.

You could try what JamiePhillips has said, I think the Series X is pretty open for keyboard & mouse compatibility (possibly as simple as plug-and-play) - although you'll probably be bad with them if you're used to controllers.

To be honest, spending a load of money to squeeze out a few FPS extra on a lower resolution for a specific game doesn't sound worthwhile to me, but I guess it's your money!
PUBG i found a fast SSD was absolutely critical, high res was extremely helpful at long range too. Fps isn’t too hard to get for pubg though, but an fps drop in combat could be really costly 🤣

Tom_P

Bronze Level Poster
PUBG i found a fast SSD was absolutely critical, high res was extremely helpful at long range too. Fps isn’t too hard to get for pubg though, but an fps drop in combat could be really costly 🤣
haha yeah it was bad - my friend struggled even more though, his game wouldn't even render the buildings etc. for the first few minutes of the game :ROFLMAO: think it ended up being a RAM issue in the end!

Ash_

Master Poster
haha yeah it was bad - my friend struggled even more though, his game wouldn't even render the buildings etc. for the first few minutes of the game :ROFLMAO: think it ended up being a RAM issue in the end!
Yeah i had the OG xbox one and i could have no buildings for the first 3 minutes, got an ssd and it sorted that instantly, plus moved the load time from 3+ minutes to 45 seconds

Jw1994

Its not just for the fps id like to try out pc in general just never knew what specs pc id need. I will have to shop around. So i need the 2060 at least to support the frames which will match my monitor which is 144hz thanks

Tom_P

Bronze Level Poster
Its not just for the fps id like to try out pc in general just never knew what specs pc id need. I will have to shop around. So i need the 2060 at least to support the frames which will match my monitor which is 144hz thanks
To clarify, I don't run my games at a locked 144Hz - I only got the monitor a month or so ago (black friday order) so had limited games played, and I've been playing single player games recently so not been targetting max FPS - I picked up a 144Hz monitor on the basis I could tweak settings to hit higher frame rates if I wanted to on certain games (I was thinking of Valorant at the time). Rough numbers below (can't remember the exact settings specs):

Metro Exodus, RTX On, DLSS On, Graphics Very High / ultra - 60-80fps 1440p
We Happy Few, Graphics full ultra - 80ish fps 1440p
PUBG Graphics Ultra, 1440p - 80ish fps 1440p
Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition, Graphics Max - all of the fps, 1440p

My card is a 2060 Super, not a standard 2060.

Don't buy a 2060 Super now, wait till you can get a 3060 or a 3060Ti, they're much better for the same money.

Jw1994

To clarify, I don't run my games at a locked 144Hz - I only got the monitor a month or so ago (black friday order) so had limited games played, and I've been playing single player games recently so not been targetting max FPS - I picked up a 144Hz monitor on the basis I could tweak settings to hit higher frame rates if I wanted to on certain games (I was thinking of Valorant at the time). Rough numbers below (can't remember the exact settings specs):

Metro Exodus, RTX On, DLSS On, Graphics Very High / ultra - 60-80fps 1440p
We Happy Few, Graphics full ultra - 80ish fps 1440p
PUBG Graphics Ultra, 1440p - 80ish fps 1440p
Age of Empires 2 Definitive Edition, Graphics Max - all of the fps, 1440p

My card is a 2060 Super, not a standard 2060.

Don't buy a 2060 Super now, wait till you can get a 3060 or a 3060Ti, they're much better for the same money.
Okay it says pre order when are the 3060s out? Will they be hard to get hold of

MrWilson

Godlike
Okay it says pre order when are the 3060s out? Will they be hard to get hold of
The 3060ti came out in December, the 3060 is due to come out late February, it was only officially announced by Nvidia a couple of days ago.
3060ti are listed as pre-order because there is limited stock, so PCS cannot guarantee that a build with a 3060ti will get built within their normal timeframe. However, compared to the 3070 and 3080 there has been less of a wait time based on forum users.

Last edited:

Jw1994

The 3060ti came out in December, the 3060 is due to come out late February, it was only officially announced by Nvidia a couple of days ago.
3060ti are listed as pre-order because there is limited stock, so PCS cannot guarantee that a build with a 3060ti will get built within their normal timeframe. However, compared to the 3070 and 3080 there has been less of a wait time based on forum users.
Which is the better of the two the 3060 or 3060ti?

The 3060 Ti should be.

The 3060 12gb is a bit of an odd card.

it’s all mainly down to clock speeds etc rather than simply VRAM (as long as 6gb plus).
Was watching a Video yesterday. Pretty much the summary is for gaming the 12GB is just pointless in that 3060 and nothing more than a marketing gimmick and like you said clock speeds matter more

Jw1994

The 3060 Ti should be.

The 3060 12gb is a bit of an odd card.

it’s all mainly down to clock speeds etc rather than simply VRAM (as long as 6gb plus).
So i should be aiming for the 3060ti ? Its apparently the sweet spot for 1440p gaming. If i get a pc like the one that was linked to me can I upgrade it myself eg. Change gpu etc