Constant Windows Repair Loop

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Hello,

I recently updated my PC to windows 10 everything was working great however the PC randomly crashed and when I booted it back up it started the windows repair tool. No matter what I do when it resets it reloads the windows repair tool. I've done some googling and people refer to it as the "repair tool loop." I've tried a full PC reset and again it fails. I don't have a restore point available to use.

Does anyone have any advice? Could it be a hard drive has failed? I have two, one is a SSD and one is a standard HDD. It doesn't appear that the hard drive with the operating system has died because as far as I know, the windows repair tool wouldn't even load if it was dead and if I use the CMD prompt I can still enter commands and see files are there.

Can anyone help? I have tried a lot of things and can't get anything to work (the only thing I haven't tried is a fresh install of Windows 10, of which I'd have no idea how to it from the Windows repair screen). Safe mode also doesn't work.

Thanks

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
When you upgraded to Windows 10 did you by any chance make a Windows 10 install DVD/USB stick? If you did boot that and try startup repair from there.

If you took a disk image after you installed Windows 10 then try restoring that.

If you didn't do either of those you could try booting the Windows 7/8/8.1 install DVD and see whether startup repair there can help. It might.

petrow

Gold Level Poster
When you upgraded to Windows 10 did you by any chance make a Windows 10 install DVD/USB stick? If you did boot that and try startup repair from there.

If you took a disk image after you installed Windows 10 then try restoring that.

If you didn't do either of those you could try booting the Windows 7/8/8.1 install DVD and see whether startup repair there can help. It might.

Unfortunately I didn't make a DVD/USB for windows 10. I have also recently moved and no longer have the windows 7 install DVD (I'm sure it's somewhere but *sigh*).

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Unfortunately I didn't make a DVD/USB for windows 10. I have also recently moved and no longer have the windows 7 install DVD (I'm sure it's somewhere but *sigh*).

Oh dear. So you can't even go back to the OS you upgraded to Windows 10 from then?

ubuysa's rule #1: Always pack your own parachute. I.E. Always ensure you have a way to go back to where you came from......

If you have the product key for Windows 7 (or whatever version) on the back of your computer somewhere you can download an iso for the same version your product key is for and make yourself a Windows 7 (or whatever version) installation DVD. You could then reinstall Windows 7 and drivers and then upgrade again to Windows 10. Off the top of my head I can't remember the download locations for the Windows iso files but I'm sure someone else will know. Of course you'll need a working computer to do that...........

When you have Windows 7 installed download Macrium Reflect Free from http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx and install it. Make a Recovery Disk (or USB stick) and take a disk image of your Windows 7 system. That will give you a quick way back to a working Windows 7 system (instead of doing a full reinstall).

Now upgrade to Windows 10 by downloading the iso and making an installation DVD or USB stick. That way you can re-do the upgrade as many times as you need.

Once Windows 10 is installed, install Macrium Reflect Free (no need to make another recovery disk, the one you have will do) and take a disk image of your new Windows 10 system. That will give you a quick way back to a working Windows 10 system (without having to do the upgrade again).

petrow

Gold Level Poster
Thanks for the reply. I'lol try and do what you said when I get a few hours of downtime away from work and after I find the old Windows 7 disc.

Thanks again,

Pete