Control Center Performance Profiles

Within my CC I can choose from; office mode, game mode, turbo mode. I also have 4 profiles which all seem to be the same (i havent changed any settings within here btw).

I do a lot of effets rendering, casual gaming from time to time too.

What difference do these modes actually make? Just increase the fan speed to keep components cool, or something else?

What are the 4 profiles for?

When should you use Turbo mode?

Bhuna50

Author Level
Its dependent on what laptop you have, but basically they will help control the fan speeds and thermals of your machine by way of power management and fan management. Office will likely reduce power to the CPU/GPU and minimal fans required to keep temperatures down, gaming in between and turbo when you want maximum performance from CPU and GPU it increases power to them but that will result in them getting hot so will also have a faster fan speed etc associated with it to try to help keep thermals down.

The 4 other 'individual modes' will be for you to customise your settings if you wish.

I have an Optimus Pro laptop and basically just leave it on Gaming for most things as find it controls it just how I want it all.

Its dependent on what laptop you have, but basically they will help control the fan speeds and thermals of your machine by way of power management and fan management. Office will likely reduce power to the CPU/GPU and minimal fans required to keep temperatures down, gaming in between and turbo when you want maximum performance from CPU and GPU it increases power to them but that will result in them getting hot so will also have a faster fan speed etc associated with it to try to help keep thermals down.

The 4 other 'individual modes' will be for you to customise your settings if you wish.

I have an Optimus Pro laptop and basically just leave it on Gaming for most things as find it controls it just how I want it all.
Thanks very much, that's a great explanation!

So if I just leave it on game mode and then it doesnt matter which profile i select as i havent tinkered with any of them? I have the elmina pro if that changes anything? Thanks for your help.

Macco26

Expert
Elimina Pro, being a Tongfang, does allow some crazy customization of the different profiles.
I would suggest you to check this video I made for the Ionico (they share the same motherboard with Elimina Pro, just CPU/GPU soldered being different).
You'll experiment varying the different Power Levels etc.
After watched this, feel free to ask any other tips.

PS: same video explains also how to undervolt Intel CPU on said laptops. It's a different topic, but definitely worth checking.

Thanks very much. I forget the wording within CC but I read something which made me think that running in Turbo was not advised? Have I understood that correctly? Or is it more a case that you should just keep an eye on temp levels when you use it?

Elimina Pro, being a Tongfang, does allow some crazy customization of the different profiles.
I would suggest you to check this video I made for the Ionico (they share the same motherboard with Elimina Pro, just CPU/GPU soldered being different).
You'll experiment varying the different Power Levels etc.
After watched this, feel free to ask any other tips.

PS: same video explains also how to undervolt Intel CPU on said laptops. It's a different topic, but definitely worth checking.
The video looked very thorough - I think beyond my level and use case though, but thank you for sharing!

Macco26

Expert
CC profile page pre-amble states that overclocking it at your risk or something like that.
This means you shouldn't run 24/7 120W Power Levels. But even if you did, and CC does not say it, your laptop will throttle badly before that, not even reaching like 70-80W no matter what, due to other safe constraints in thermals and current.

FerrariVie

Super Star
The video looked very thorough - I think beyond my level and use case though, but thank you for sharing!
General advice:
Quiet/office mode = for general light/medium load, like Chrome, youtube, email, usual excel, etc.
Entertainment/Gaming = For gaming or heavier workloads that would take longer periods (like those video rendering that takes hours to render, or Photoshop/CAD that you're constantly using and changing stuff)
Performance/Turbo = Only for short bursts of ultra-performance, like when you're rendering a short video that you'd like to finish ASAP, or for performance benchmarks.

It doesn't change anything on the GPU (can guarantee that with Clevo chassis, but not sure about Tongfang... I would say it's the same), but changes the CPU power and, by consequence, clocks and temperature. On Performance/Turbo the fans will also crank up a lot more to try to deal with the extra power delivered, while quite/office will bring power and fans down for daily usage.

I keep mine on quiet 90% of the time... just change to entertainment when gaming and performance on the rare cases where I'm running a benchmark.