Controller for Couch Gaming - Any real options?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've been keeping an eye out for a decent controller for a LONG time now but absolutely nothing is jumping out at me. Are there any mainstream options that have a decent re-charging option? The XBox controller is the obvious go-to for Windows but the batteries do my nut in (I've had them over the years). I've tried re-chargeable batteries but they cost a ton to get decent ones and they drain while not in use for extended periods.

I have a couple of Nvidia shields that come with controllers that are absolutely fantastic. They are really expensive though (maybe that's just the going rate). They are wireless and charge via USB. Once charged they can game for around 60 hours so definitely a decent bit of kit. Is this my only option? Purchase another one of these?

Just wondering if there are any couch gamers with recommendations before I go ahead.

TIA

polycrac

Rising Star
I've not tried it but I've had the Steam controller recommended to me as being the 'closest to desktop pc' experience, because the trackpads are more like using a mouse. Though there is supposed to be a tradeoff, the trackpads are not so good for action games.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've not tried it but I've had the Steam controller recommended to me as being the 'closest to desktop pc' experience, because the trackpads are more like using a mouse. Though there is supposed to be a tradeoff, the trackpads are not so good for action games.
Problem is that Valve have disconinued them and did a fire sale selling them for £4 before they discontinued. Now the only places that have any have bumped the prices up to around £80 cos they're really sought after.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That one was on my short-list. It certainly seems to tick all the boxes. It's quite pricey but I don't mind spending a few quid for a better experience.

I would love to be able to justify the Elite Series 2 controllers, those look amazing. There's just no way I game anywhere near enough to be considering over £100 though, never mind £150.

On another note. I called my Dad last night who I recommended one of the shield setups to many moons ago. He has the shield controller still in the wrapping so I'm getting that off him so that I have one specifically for PC. The only downfall is it's bluetooth rather than wireless so it feels a bit limited, especially when my PC is in the cupboard. I have a Surface Pro that it will work well with over gamestream (moonlight) so I'll make good use of it regardless.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Problem is that Valve have disconinued them and did a fire sale selling them for £4 before they discontinued. Now the only places that have any have bumped the prices up to around £80 cos they're really sought after.

So that's why they are priced so high. Really wish I had gotten one at £4. That's unreal haha.