Controller for PC

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
What controller is best for PC gaming?

I was looking at the xbox controllers as they are wireless. There seems to be two to choose from
and

does it matter which one? some say bluetooth and some say wireless adapter included
what do I need on my new pc to allow either of them or will they just work?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I like the Xbox ones, wireless is good if you want to stream your Steam account to your TV and use it in 'big picture' mode for some couch based gaming. I think they connect up to Windows 10 pretty seamlessly (I was on Windows 7 and that required a bit of faffing about)

Bluetooth is great and works fine although sometimes mine has cut out for a split second. I think the dongle adaptor might give you a little more range.

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
I like the Xbox ones, wireless is good if you want to stream your Steam account to your TV and use it in 'big picture' mode for some couch based gaming. I think they connect up to Windows 10 pretty seamlessly (I was on Windows 7 and that required a bit of faffing about)

Bluetooth is great and works fine although sometimes mine has cut out for a split second. I think the dongle adaptor might give you a little more range.
Not sure my tv would work for that, I bought it about 6 years ago now. What does the tv require?

marklcfc

Gold Level Poster
Personally, I spend the extra to get the Official controller as have had issues with 3rd party controllers in the past but that's just me.

As for the adapter: Not sure how it differs from a normal Bluetooth dongle. One question I would ask is: DId/is your new system equipped with an Intel AX200 Wi-Fi card? If it is then you don't need a Bluetooth dongle as it has Bluetooth built-in.
I've not got wifi I'm just using the ethernet cable

gigino

i have two xbox one controllers, and i recommend them, but they have a little problem with them: the microusb port breaks easily, if you wish to buy one be prepared to use it only as wireless.

It is the most supported, and most recognized by games.
Same thing can be said of the xbox360 controller, which doesnt have the microusb cable, if you want wired i'd go with that.

Regarding wireless,you dont need any additional dongle, the xbox one controller is recognized by bluetooth, see this video:

nick_123

Silver Level Poster

I did not know you could do that. Is there a downside - i.e. lag or fps hit?

gigino

I did not know you could do that. Is there a downside - i.e. lag or fps hit?

not to my knowledge. I remember watching a video by linustechtips that bluetooth connection is somehow faster than wired, and with less lag.
Personally i did notice it was faster, but i could be wrong.