Cooling for Nova 15 Ultra

Toolaga

Hi, I bought an Octane 2 17.3inch laptop with 32GB RAM from PCS several years ago, it's no longer working and i'm thinking of getting a Nova 15 Ultra laptop with 64GB RAM to replace it. Essentially it over heated one too many times...

I have noticed it's only got the standard thermal paste, not Arctic on offer...

How is the cooling system? I'll be using it for work via desktop remote control, running Autodesk (Octane 2 was rather slow for rendering animation, hoping the 12 cores make the difference) and playing games like Bannerlord and modded Skyrim.

I currently have the following cooling pad:
Dimension: 417mm*300mm*15mm
Fan Size: ≤100x100x20(3PCS) ≤80x80x15(2PCS) ≤70x70x15(1PC)
Fan Speed: 1900±10%RPM 2300±10%RPM 2600±10%RPM
Rated Voltage: 5V DC
Current: 0.9A±10%
Power: 4.5W
Max airflow: 74.35CFM
Weight: 820g
USBQTY: 2USB2.0HUB

Doesn't feel like it's got good airflow when I place my hand over it at max setting, should I get a CM-15, CM-17 (larger fan than CM-15 but says it's designed for 17 inch laptops), or Notepal X3 for this Nova 15 Ultra laptop? I think the Notepal X3 is the only one with a slightly higher airflow rating than mine, but the surface is made from plastic and not metal. My cooling pad is also made from plastic mesh.

Any suggestions on which cooling pad to get? I also came across a KLIM Wind and KLIM Cyclone, is the Nova 15 Ultra better suited for a single large fan or multiple fans? I'm having trouble deciding which cooling fan is most powerful and works best for this particular laptop.

Last edited:

lauwai

Bronze Level Poster
This user has repasted his CPU and GPU.

As for airflow I've used a raised laptop stand so that it can suck in as much air from underneath as possible. I've not needed a cooling pad but my use case is different from yours.

D

Deleted member 41971

Yeah, they should specify that on the configurator really but a few people have called up to check and we’ve contacted customer services as well to verify.

When the nova first came out they did specify in the configurator the better thermal paste, after a couple of weeks they removed it, don't know why they took it off.

FerrariVie

Super Star
I don't know how well your Octane fans performed, but the nova's are quite good on max. They're really loud as well, but you're likely to not have overheating issues if you can stand the noise.

Just for your understanding, I have a low-spec CPU with an RTX 2070 and I can play games with both fans at 54% and temps for GPU won't go above 71° and CPU 75° max (with light overclock), using just a stand with no fans. Your mileage may vary, but that's my sweet-spot for temps and noise.