Copying from an Evo 850 to a 4tb Server grade hard drive

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I'm backing up all my files in prep for a clean wipe and windows install. I have this 4TB hard drive that I "acquired" *cough* from a rack that I decommissioned at my old job.

I've had it sitting in a portable hard drive container.

I'm pretty shocked at this.

the Server hard drive even though its using a usb2 connection it's barely breaking a sweat

1593356862382.png

Can anyone have a look at the output from HWinfo and let me know what's making this drive so special?

1593357019187.png

also here is the drive being sold on a store

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
At a guess it's because you're writing sequentially to an empty drive. There is thus no latency or set sector times to speak of, so the drive can operate at near data transfer speeds.

The 16.7 MB/s reported there is about 134 Mb/s, which is pretty pedestrian for an HDD data transfer rate.

What value is being shown in the two drive graphs? It can't be active time because I'd expect the destination drive to be 100% active.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There's really nothing startling about that latest graph. I'm not sure what your asking here?

debiruman665

Enthusiast
There's really nothing startling about that latest graph. I'm not sure what your asking here?
The discrepancy between activity time. I would have expected the destination drive to max out long before the source one did on account of the destination being a HDD and also in a usb enclosure.

They way I'm interpreting it is that the hdd has a lot more headroom to perform more reads/writes, which I wouldn't expect.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The discrepancy between activity time. I would have expected the destination drive to max out long before the source one did on account of the destination being a HDD and also in a usb enclosure.

They way I'm interpreting it is that the hdd has a lot more headroom to perform more reads/writes, which I wouldn't expect.
Ah, I see. I agree that you'd expect the HDD to max out. That it doesn't is because something is getting in the way, perhaps other proceeses accessing the SSD and slowing the reads?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Once this big transfer of my steam library is done, I'll do an atto disk benchmark on it and see what comes up.
Excellent idea, post the results if you like. [emoji846]

If you know your way around the performance monitor you can try to spot what's holding it back.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
I think hwinfo isn't giving the actual correct readings for the disk, Likely because of the enclosure.

1593370244380.png

it's actually 750MB/s transfer speed probably held back by the enclosure and usb connection.