Core Temps

Deklore

Bright Spark
Apologies if this has been covered in another post (unable to find any) but i was wondering about the temperatures of the cpu.

1. What is considered low, average, high (too high) temps for a resting cpu
2. Same again for an active cpu

Cheers!

Gorman

Author Level
Absolutely relative to the CPU in mind.

Rough guide, AMD will break at 60c, Intel at 100c.

Deklore

Bright Spark
I was thinking about the Core i5 and Core i7 processors, so not sure if the temps are specific to each type of i7 or i5.

Im assuming that if you overclock, then your cpu will run at a higher temp? If thats the case and you get appropriate cooling for the cpu, does it bring it down to original (non-overclocked) temperatures?
If it does then why do they say that overclocking reduces the lifespan of the cpu when the temps are running the same? Or is it a case of if you do overclock then a higher avg temp is expected no matter what kind of cooling you have?

Sorry for all the questions but i know nothing about overclocking (or much else if im honest...LOL)

EDIT - i think this thread may be in the wrong section, but although im talking about overclocking, my original question is just on core temps!

Gorman

Author Level
Ok well yes you are right, the chip will run hotter when overclocked no matter what the cooling.

Think of it like this, overclocking a cpu is like running your car permanently in 2nd, your using it in a way that it was not designed for and will shorten the lifespan.

You want to keep your temps under 80 on load for an Intel cpu.

SteveB

Gold Level Poster
Sorry to go slighty off subject but what temp should a GPU run at, mine is 52 when not doing alot and 65 when messing around with photo's etc, is that the norm?

Edit: Where can I safely download an app to see what my CPU runs at please, I have searched and their are sooo many but would rather someone recommend one they know works and is from a trusted source.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Coretemp is my program of choice, 65 for an I7? thats practically turned off temps.

EDIT:

misread that, for your GPU (or any GPU) 65c is nothing.

Last edited:

Saivishal

Bronze Level Poster
Again depends on what GPU U have ... 52 C ..at idle seems ok.. nothing to worry about (I have at HD 5650) that idles around 46-47 C
And with some load on about 57-60 C.. Your 62 seems decent enuf if you are watching videos,hi-res photos etc..

While gaming it does go to 67 at load though :)

Keep in mind that generally Nvidia GPUs run hotter than their ATI/AMD counterparts.

Saivishal

Bronze Level Poster
For CPU.. Try CPU-Z as mentioned by Slenious or HW Monitor (For CPU,GPU temps)
Fpr GPU try GPU-Z .. Best tools for temp monitoring .. :)

SteveB

Gold Level Poster
CPU-Z reads temps I believe? Nifty little app.

A nifty little app indeed but sadly no temp :(

CPUZ.png

Last edited: