Corsair Carbide 500R

Corfate

Author Level
Got my 500r the other day, running like a dream. Got to say, those corsair stock fans are NAFF! got 4 sickleflows on the way :)

c-hri-s

Bronze Level Poster
I chose it because I didn't want a case that was too oversized, also I didn't want a case that looked like an alien spacecraft had dropped it off at my house (you know the ones, all angles and lights). This was the perfect cross between price, functionality, cable management and style.

6297J

My contribution - not quite finished yet, still a last little bit of cable tying to do this weekend.

v6qjgj.jpg

CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 500R WHITE MID TOWER CASE
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770K (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache
SPIRE THERMAX ECLIPSE II UNIVERSAL DT EXTREME CPU COOLER
ASUS® MAXIMUS V GENE: M-ATX, INTEL Z77 ROG MOTHERBOARD
16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P(4 x 4GB KIT)
120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 555MB/sR | 510MB/sW)
750GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD7502AAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
CORSAIR 750W PRO SERIES™ HX750-80 PLUS® SILVER MODULAR

I already had the EVGA GX570 2546mb which is only about six weeks old

As I keep reading here and elsewhere, the stock fans were terrible so I replaced the front two 120mm with Aerocool Shark White LED, replaced the rear exhaust with a 140mm Gelid Wing UV Blue and added two more of the same to the inside top of the case (a nightmare to fit using the existing TINY holes at the 140mm spacing but do-able if you widen the holes somewhat). I also replaced the 200mm side fan with a 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro White LED and that makes a huge difference. For 20 quid I would seriously recommend doing that as it fits perfectly using the existing 200mm holes, is so much quieter than the Corsair and shifts a lot more air too. You will lose the speed control as you will have to connect it to the Mobo or via Molex as I have but I never intended to use the control or switch the LED off anyway.

I've added a 120mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Blue LED in the bottom since the photo was taken. I had bought a 140mm version but due to the length of the PSU it doesn't quite fit - almost but not quite.

One thing I did which made a huge difference to the noise was add 7v reduction cables in between the fans on the Spire Thermax Eclipse II cooler and the CPU fan connectors as it was far too loud otherwise. It makes no real difference to the efficiency of the fans but is a good two thirds quieter.

Having done all that I have the CPU at 27 degrees and the Mobo at 26 degrees at idle. GPU is 46 degrees.

Apart from the tiny screw holes at the 140mm spacing on the top I am extremely please with the case and would recommend it. It's also so much smaller than my old Cosmos S which now looks a bit ridiculous sitting on the floor in the corner of the room!

EDIT -

I think I've finally finished. I could go on forever otherwise :)

y30pj.jpg

2h338yw.jpg

Last edited:

JozaP

New PC just arrived!! :)

Firstly thanks to PCS for the excellent service they provide :)

But now down to the computer.

Three bad points I do need to point out, which i may be ringing PCS to ask about:

1. the top mesh plate is bent inwards slighty (case is a corsair carbide 500r) which doesnt sound like much but on a £1300 computer you expect it to be perfect, but this may be down to DPD's delivery not PCS.

2. the foam that is on the inside of the computer stuck itself to one of my heatsinks fns (gemini rev.3) whicmeant as I took it off as carefully as i could, it slightly pulled on the rubber bits holding it onto the heatsink which means that the fan no longer sits flush with the top of the heatsink like the other fan does. It has also left so packaging residue on the side of the fan but this is not a major issue.

3. The PSU makes a buzzing sound if the power cable is not put in a very precise way into the socket (slightly pulled up, so it goes in on a very slight angle) this is a little annoying also

As for the delivery, it was definitely quick and on time, but the way that dpd treat the package was pretty bad, holding on his shoulder as he brang it to the door upside down.

now the bad bits are out of the way, here is the pictures

DSC_0026.jpgDSC_0027.jpgDSC_0028.jpgDSC_0029.jpg

Last edited:

JozaP

Great pics + Rep!

That is ridiculous. I hope you said something to him? What a fool. No wonder you've got bent bits. PCS you should add teleportation to the delivery options you would make trillions!

Edit: My PSU cable buzzes a bit when I put power cable in if it's connected to the mains, I could be wrong but I think this is normal.

If only i could have had teleportation, would definitely pay extra for that :p

Its not when you put it in, its while its running, it seems that the PSU cable is very loose (which is another problem, just brushing past the power cable could knock it out) and therefore hangs down, slightly pulling itself out which then makes it buzz. At the moment I'm fixing this by propping it up so it stays in straight, which removes the noise, but will have to ring PCS saturday to see what they can do about some of these issues.

Last edited:

JozaP

Just an update to my previous issues, one being a dent in the top and the other being a buzz coming from the PSU.

I rang PCS on the saturday, by tuesday I had a new power cable (which completely fixed the issue) and by wednesday I had a new top to my case. So now apart from the very minor issue of the foam packaging sticking to one of my fans, my computer is now perfect :).

I am very pleased with the customer support from PCS, they were very nice to talk to on the phone and quickly sent out the spare parts I needed. I will definitely be recommending the company to anyone looking for a new pc, and I will certainly be ordering any future pc's and spare parts through PCS aswell.

niklad

Wow!! I must say that case looks absolutely amazing!! Your set up is also brilliant! you must love it!