Corsair H55 fan speed control

harleyb

Hi all,

So I've just got my new PC a few days ago, but have noticed that the CPU fan (Corsair H55 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler) is permanently at max fan speed (~1700RPM), even when idle and so is therefore quite loud and unnecessary. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I understand the fan is connected to the motherboard (Gigabyte Z97-HD3) by 3-pin connectors instead of 4-pin, meaning that the speed cannot be regulated.

So is there anyway to fix this? An adapter or something possibly?

Any help will be much appreciated.

steaky360

I'm not 100% sure with the H55 cooler, but I know my H100's fans are plugged into the CPU heatsync/pump unit and are controlled by that.

If the H55's fan is plugged directly into the motherboard, it should be plugged into the CPU header, which will be a 4 pin.

sanj

Thank's for your question,all H55 come's supplied with a three pin fan,the only way you can solve the speed issue is by replacing the fan for a 4 pin one,the adaptor's will not work.

steaky360

Thank's for your question,all H55 come's supplied with a three pin fan,the only way you can solve the speed issue is by replacing the fan for a 4 pin one,the adaptor's will not work.

I wasn't aware of that! Good to know though!!!

harleyb

Ok, thanks. So is there an official Corsair H55 4-pin replacement fan, or what would you recommend? The most I've done inside a PC is replace a hard drive, but I'll be fine following an installation guide on youtube or something right?

sanj

Ok, thanks. So is there an official Corsair H55 4-pin replacement fan, or what would you recommend? The most I've done inside a PC is replace a hard drive, but I'll be fine following an installation guide on youtube or something right?

Any 120mm 4pin fan will do,with the extra pin providing the speed control sensor,give our call centre a ring as they might be able to get one out to you at little or no cost.

harleyb

So I was told over the phone that I can just plug the H55 fan connector into a SYS_FAN on the motherboard rather than CPU_FAN, which I have now done and can now successfully control the fan speed (I'm using Gigabyte system information viewer which came with the motherboard). But won't this mean that the fan speed is adjusted in relation to system temperature rather than CPU temperature? If that's correct, is it a problem?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
in this instance, I'd probably replace the fan for a 4pin PWM fan. Something like a Akasa Apache Black 120mm would be a good option. - but plug it into the cpu fan header.