Corsair PSU popping noise on mains switch on.

Had the PC about 19 months now and a week ago I started hearing a pop from the back of the PSU sometimes ever so faint sometimes a loud pop whenever I was switching the mains plug on, I initially thought it could be the surge protected power strip as I've had that for 5+ years so replaced it a week ago.

So my routine for PC use is generally to leave it on during the day and only shut it down when I'm going to bed at night or at work and switch it off at the mains too after it's shut down.

I've started to press the power button in when shut down and mains switch is off because sometimes I believe it retains some power / charge, then sometimes in the morning its fine but sometimes it pops still.

Did a quick search of the internet and I'm not saying they're all the same but it seems most threads I've come across in an hour are from Corsair PSUs.

So my question is, anything additional I can do to stop this? Should I invest in a new PSU ready for what seems to be inevitably coming? Is it ok to leave the mains switch on all the time if I have a surge protected power strip, only problem being some motherboard LEDs remain on. Not seeing any visible indications from the PSU as of yet.

Comp details below.

Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X 16 Core CPU (3.5GHz - 4.4GHz, 40MB CACHE)
MotherboardASUS® ROG ZENITH EXTREME ALPHA (DDR4, WIFI, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2933MHz ~ (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive2TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Last edited:
Over the course of the week since it began:

I've tried plugging the PSU directly into the mains and not through a power extension cord.
I've tried 2 different power extensions (one brand new).
I've tried the power extension cord in 4 different plug sockets.
And tried two power cables to the PSU.

Some days nothing, sometimes a low pop, some very loud.

I do this but not sure if its helping in anyway. So when I shut down and switch off the mains the PSU switch is always set to being in the on position, also on shutting down a minute or so later I press the power switch in order I think to get rid of any reserved power within the system keeping the motherboard LED lights / screen on for a while afterwards.

The PSU and cables are covered by a shroud and haven't touched anything inside apart from a bit of light dusting of fans / coverings.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Can i ask a simple question, but why do you turn it off, my laptop gets closed down overnight, but the desktop is on 24/7, I know this doesn't solve your problem, just curious

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Are you switching the PSU off at the back of the PSU also?

The full off procedure should be:

Shutdown PC - Turn off PSU at the back of PSU -> Turn off Wall Plug

Turn on procedure should be:

Turn on Wall Plug -> Turn on PSU at back -> Press power switch

If you're getting a popping noise with the PSU switched off I would definitely be replacing it.

Can i ask a simple question, but why do you turn it off, my laptop gets closed down overnight, but the desktop is on 24/7, I know this doesn't solve your problem, just curious

Honestly it's just peace of mind and something I've been doing since my first PC, before I go to bed I go around and make sure all outlets are off except fridges etc. Just something I've been programmed into doing from early in life.

I do understand computers are much different now.

As for Scott: I'm the user who hasn't been using that procedure, I'm not huge but getting on my knees to the back of it is just an effort lol. So for me it was Shut Down -> Wall switch.

But I've been trying that the last two times I've shutdown and booted. There is no large pops anymore but a visible spark (is it called arcing?) seen through the holes of the PSU unit at the back as I switch the PSU switch on.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Honestly it's just peace of mind and something I've been doing since my first PC, before I go to bed I go around and make sure all outlets are off except fridges etc. Just something I've been programmed into doing from early in life.

As for Scott: I'm the user who hasn't been using that procedure, I'm not huge but getting on my knees to the back of it is just an effort lol. So for me it was Shut Down -> Wall switch.

But I've been trying that the last two times I've shutdown and booted. There is no large pops anymore but a visible spark (is it called arcing?) seen through the holes of the PSU unit at the back as I switch the PSU switch on.
sounds like a dodgy PSU then if you can see sparks in it

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Are you 100% sure the power cable is fully inserted into the PSU? Sorry to ask but this sounds like it's either not, or that PSU needs swapping out.

When you insert the power cable, there's a point of resistance, you then have to push it in fully from there.

If it's definitely in completely, then yes, absolutely, you need to get that PSU swapped out ASAP

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If you're absolutely positive all the cables are inserted correctly, I'd remove all the supply cables, uninstall the PSU which is a bit of a fiddle, you may have to remove the motherboard, and then check the serial number which is either on the top or side of the PSU:

024.jpg

Depending on your case, removing the PSU can be quite a fiddle, or extremely simple. If you're at all uncomfortable, just arrange for an RMA with PCS.