Cosmos doesn't see RAM upgrade

pauede

Hi guys,
I bought a Cosmos laptop a couple of years ago, I specd it with 8GB of RAM. I treated myself to a 2nd 8GB stick of RAM from you that arrived today, but the machine doesn't recognise it.
It says there's only 8GB of installed RAM regardless of if I install both sticks, the new stick or the old stick. BIOS and Windows both report just 8GB.
Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi guys,
I bought a Cosmos laptop a couple of years ago, I specd it with 8GB of RAM. I treated myself to a 2nd 8GB stick of RAM from you that arrived today, but the machine doesn't recognise it.
It says there's only 8GB of installed RAM regardless of if I install both sticks, the new stick or the old stick. BIOS and Windows both report just 8GB.
Am I doing something wrong?
I've removed your order numbers as they're not relevant on the forums (none of us are PCS staff).

When adding RAM, you really need to add it in matched pairs otherwise there can be conflicts. It also needs to be exactly the same RAM as the other stick.

It would probably be worth returning the RAM you bought off PCS and buying a matched pair and upgrading both DIMMS

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for that. Reseating the modules (for the forth time) seems to have done the trick. :)
It's really not ideal to have 2 separate DIMMS anyway, even if it does see it. DDR 3 is designed to run in Dual Channel, and you get performance increases with running a matched pair.