Cosmos Series: 17.3" - OpenSuse KDE

RockOnNinja

Hi all!
Sorry for the trouble, but I just wanted to check if anyone here knew of any issues between the hardware I am about to post and OpenSuse Linux with a KDE interface. I need this for work and I just want to make sure that when I load a bootable for OpenSuse the entire thing doesn't just crash :).

I know that the latest versions of OpenSuse pick up drivers and such automatically, I am just wary of the few drivers that it might not find :).

The system specifics are:

Chassis & Display:
Cosmos Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU):
Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor 6300HQ (2.3GHz, 3.2GHz Turbo)

Memory (RAM):
8GB Kingston SODIMM DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 940M - 2.0GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 12

Memory - Hard Disk:
1TB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive:
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader:
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste: (I know this shouldn't cause any issues, I am just touching base.
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card:
Via® 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless:
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8260 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options:
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Battery:
Cosmos Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)

Power Lead & Adaptor:
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor

Keyboard Language:
COSMOS 17" SERIES UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Operating System:
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Office Software:
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE

Anti-Virus:
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE

Notebook Mouse:
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE

Webcam:
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Once again, I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that knew of any reason why installing OpenSuse on this system would be a bad idea. I am rubbish with keeping up with hardware myself, and I know that if I don't ask, then there will be 1 tiny little thing that just ruins the entire system.

And for this price, I'd like to be able to get on with work without any issues.

I should mention : the reason that I chose to opt into an Nvidia instead of a Intel integrated graphics, is because I will require a lot of more advanced rendering features, and I know how buggy the integrated can be.

I am on the bench for purchasing this system and getting the operating system and interface running as on one hand I need it for work, but on the other if it does not work then it is a lot of money spent.

Please let me know if you have tried this yourself, or if you know of any conflicts with specific pieces of hardware on this machine.

TLDR:
I am unsure if this hardware is going to work with Linux opensuse, please help.

RockOnNinja

Once again any possible feedback is greatly appreciated, and if I have posted this in the wrong place, please let me know.

Stephen M

Author Level
That should be OK, I run Ubuntu on a different spec but have tried various Distros on my two PCS laptops and there is nothing on yours that should be a problem. Your laptop will arrive with a trial version of Windows on it, this is what they test it with and from previous experience know that you may need to turn off secure boot and UEFI before installing, with Ubuntu choosing "nomodeset" is sometimes needed.

RockOnNinja

Brilliant, I will make a note of that for when I start it up.

I have always wanted to run a purely Linux machine so the moment that they said they were going open source at my job I was brimming, just wanted to touch base with someone who was far more experienced.

Thanks for the info. I am glad that it is ok, as the warning about Linux did distress me a little.