could i upgrade my gpu Vortex II

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
afternoon, i have a 6990m at the minute in my vortex II 17inch laptop. just wondered if its possible to upgrade the gpu. main reason im asking is the amd 7970m is released on 24th if the rumours are true about the release date and its meant to be a beast :yes:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you would have to either wait till a pcs guru replies or give them a bell mate.

I guess it depends if it will fit in the chassis and is compatible with the cooler.

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
I'd suggest that you wait until some of the resellers on notebookreview.com has confirmed that it works with the older chassis, (p150hm, p170hm). Most likely you should be able to upgrade and as you have AMD heatsink it should be compatible with the new card. Some of the resellers are also willing to sell you the part separately.

to check : http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/

So far it has been proven to work in Alienware M15X with pretty impressive results, so it's something to look forward to :) (and also something I will consider, should the price be okay for me)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Really want to know this too. Just got my Laptop a month ago now its cheeper and theres a new model out. Wish i'd waited. Its put me in a bit of a downer as its my first gaming machine and i wanted it to be fairly future proof.

From what i've read so far its not possible to upgrade the GPU of the Vorter II to either the new GTX 6XM or the HD7XXXM series.

Hopefully there will be something with good news about this soon

MrShteeeve

Isn't it the case the generally speaking, majority if not all GPU's are soldered to the Mobo itself? So in upgrading you'd need to remove where the previous GPU was, clean it up, then just check the Mobo manufacturers spec as to whether the upgrade will be compat? If all is green for go, re-attach the GPU to the Mobo and jobs a goodun (after drivers are installed obviously).

Finn

Enthusiast
Isn't it the case the generally speaking, majority if not all GPU's are soldered to the Mobo itself? So in upgrading you'd need to remove where the previous GPU was, clean it up, then just check the Mobo manufacturers spec as to whether the upgrade will be compat? If all is green for go, re-attach the GPU to the Mobo and jobs a goodun (after drivers are installed obviously).

Some laptops use a standard interface where the graphics card is on a seperate board which slots in, so you can swap these boards like swapping the cpu.

MrShteeeve

Some laptops use a standard interface where the graphics card is on a seperate board which slots in, so you can swap these boards like swapping the cpu.

That is music to my ears, irrelevant to me though unfortunately lol :)