Could Virtual Reality be a bad thing?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I don't see a problem with the realism of virtual reality, after all its something that the gaming industry has been trying to achieve for years and games are now not far off being near to true life in realism

Spuff

Expert
Well, a story is that when one of the first moving picture presentations, which was of a train pulling in to a station was shown to people, some of them recoiled in terror of being run over.
Although that film wasn't very 'hi-fi', I think the shock of the new will probably only last while it is new.

I imagine if someone suffers from bad motion sickness or balance irregularities, then VR could send them very odd.

Last edited:

steaky360

I kinda just laughed....

I think it could be a bad thing if misused or overused perhaps, however, I don't think it is inherently going to be a bad thing in itself.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Wow..... makes me want one quite badly.

I have never even tried surround gaming and I think that would be epic especially for racing games, imagine that thing strapped to your face in a super realistic shooter game...

Wont be long before that stupid maze scare thing looks like it was designed for school children....

halox

Enthusiast
I'm just messing around. I think its a good thing. The guy was obviously convinced he was actually there. It must work then. I would love a shot!

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Reminds me of when I was on holiday, I think I was like 10.... We went to a 180 degree cinema that took you over the grand canyon in a helicopter low and fast, on a rollercoaster all sorts and you totally felt you were their. I remember everyone rocking backwards as we went over the edge of a cliff but you did have the ground as a visual reference that took away some of the realism, with the oculus rift strapped to your face you wouldn't even have that...

Androcles

Rising Star
Just imagine someone who is arachnophobic playing a game when suddenly a giant spider creature attacks, the heart attacks that could happen lol

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Just imagine someone who is arachnophobic playing a game when suddenly a giant spider creature attacks, the heart attacks that could happen lol

I think PewDiePie played something like that, you had to put your hands on the desk holding down buttons on the keyboard and you have to watch spiders crawl over you and not pull your hands away

Bsrz

Rising Star
Well, a story is that when one of the first moving picture presentations, which was of a train pulling in to a station was shown to people, some of them recoiled in terror of being run over.
Although that film wasn't very 'hi-fi', I think the shock of the new will probably only last while it is new.

Very True you are thinking of Auguste and Louis Lumière, the lumiere brothers created L'arrivée d'un train en gare de La Ciotat. This short film caused a reaction as you mentioned in which the audience members got so scared of the size and realism of the train that a lot of the members ran from the cinema in horror. Not to bad for the first ever film makers in history.

This is the clip your talking about

[video=youtube;1dgLEDdFddk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dgLEDdFddk[/video]

Spuff

Expert
This short film caused a reaction as you mentioned in which the audience members got so scared of the size and realism of the train that a lot of the members ran from the cinema in horror. Not to bad for the first ever film makers in history.

I said a story because there isn't really any evidence that people were that scared when the film was first shown. It has been suggested such a reaction did happen when a fresh version of the film was shown much later on in 1935 in 3d, which the audience was experiencing for the first time, and those two viewings many years apart may have been conflated.

Last edited: