CPU Fan/Cooler doesn't want to screw back in

superebil

The Fan is a Titan DC 12V ZX CE, and the CPU is AMD a6-6400k. It's a brand new computer

My CPU was overheating so I tried applying new thermal paste but now I can't screw the screws back in?

I can't get a good enough photo of it but hopefully this will suffice: https://gyazo.com/0b7ac4cdbb9feff95eee1ca23c664866

It feels like the screw itself is stopping me 'cause there's a large stripy thing on it? But unscrewing it was okay? I seriously don't understand. Please help. :(

jerpers

Master
They look like sprung screws to me. you need to put some pressure on the screw with the screwdriver to compress the spring in order to screw it in.

superebil

You're completely right. I think I need another screwdriver for the job since mine keeps coming loose and slipping from the screw? I'm kind of nervous to apply pressure to it too since it is above the CPU and all. What kind of screwdriver should I be using for this?

jerpers

Master
You need a Philips, not a posi-drive, I think a number 3 by the looks of it, just make sure it seats in the screw nicely. It shouldn't need too much pressure to compress the spring amd get it started in the thread.

superebil

I got a new screwdriver yet the screws still don't want to catch/ reach the bottom bit. I looked around the internet and I found something about needing to take out the motherboard to do something to the back of it? Is this true? I don't want to cause any more trouble to my desktop than I already have. Should I get someone to install it properly for me?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I got a new screwdriver yet the screws still don't want to catch/ reach the bottom bit. I looked around the internet and I found something about needing to take out the motherboard to do something to the back of it? Is this true? I don't want to cause any more trouble to my desktop than I already have. Should I get someone to install it properly for me?

There's a connector bracket on the base side of the motherboard that you'll need to hold in place while you screw in the main heat sink.

jerpers

Master
Ah yes, the back plate probably dropped out/down when you unscrewed the heat sink. I missed that bit, sorry.