Crashing to a black screen, please help me.

At the beginning of this year I realised that my old Mac cold no longer keep up and the new Mac Pro’s looked expensive so I thought I’d build a PC my self and save some money. I use this PC for editing and to be safe I found a build on YouTube by Linus. I followed the build and changed a few of the components because of price or availability. I put a better cooler in so I could over-clock a little. just to get the best from my CPU. The one's I bought differently are listed on the right:
Intel Core i7 4930K
Corsair AX860i
Intel 530 Series 240GB SSD Crusial 240GB SSD
P9X79-E WS P9X-79 WS
ASUS GeForce GTX 780 Palit GTX 780
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz 64GB Kingston Hyper X Beast 32GB
Noctua NH-U14S Corsair H100i
Windows 8.1

I built the PC and it seemed to work fine. I then spent a week researching and over clocking the CPU. It seemed I had a good one and it went higher than most of the others of this model I had found on line. It was stable for hours on Prime95 and IBT. The temp did creep up in the end but I never let it spike over 90 and did not push it at all. I then turned it back down and ran it slightly over its normal speed. I was very pleased with the whole thing and started editing.

The PC ran well for a while but then started to crash strait to a black screen. The PC was still on but I could not recover anything so I would have to push the power to turn it off then reboot. The first thing was a screen saying “Over clock has failed” and redirecting me to BIOS to remove or change this. I found this strange as the PC had been doing intensive rendering tasks all week but had crashed during browsing the web and the OC was so mild with the PC running very cool. No record was left in the log apart from the Event Log 41- Kernal Power which just seems to point to a unexpected shut down.

I removed the OC and ran Prime95 for an hour to test my set up and it was fine, The next crash was exactly the same, again while doing nothing but again it came to the “Over clocking has failed screen” but now there was no OC.
My memory was fast, 2400Mhz but it had a second slower profile so I turned it down. Everything worked for a while then the same crashes. Sometimes the PC would not boot and I would have to keep trying. Sometimes I would get the OC has failed screen. I also noticed that when it boots sometimes it seems to get stuck and I would see the ASUS screen again as it starts over again.

This has happened all year with me in-between desperately trying to work on it. I put all the memory timings in myself in case the XMP profile was wrong. Then I removed half of the RAM so now I have only 16GB. I ran Memetest on the memory modules. They were fine. After the crash always the same error in the log and always when it’s doing nothing much at all. I did so many clean installs of windows this year I can't remember how many times I have tried.
Now it’s started again and I know it will get worse and worse. The problem will be intermittent at first, very difficult to repeat, so imposable to show to someone. Then one day it just won’t start. I have pulled out more memory, swapped memory around, Changed timings and profiles, changed the GPU’s PCIe slot even cleaned and reapplied new heat paste and again I’ll fiddle until something works, maybe do a clean install again and one of these things will fix it for a while, until it starts crashing again.

People have suggested that the P9X79 WS does not work well with my CPU and that the X79 Deluxe would do the job, they have said that the Ram may not be compatible in some way. I would be only too happy to replace anything if I could have a working PC. They have said it's running to hot for my cooler but I watch the temps and it's never over 60.

Does anyone know what this could be? Or what I should do next? I have struggled with this computer all year and If I can’t solve the problem by the begging of the new year coming I’ll find a replacement and give it to a repair shop to see if they can find what was wrong but I can’t afford this and it’ll hurt.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Not preaching or anything but that's why I get my machines from PCS, just so if something like you are experiencing does happen I can just hand it off and get em to fix it. But that aside, it seems you have already tried all the normal stuff. The problem with this error is its more of a generic thing than anything to do with a specific overclock, or at least it could be.

Have you reset everything in the BIOS to default and saved it? I know you said you removed the OC and lowered the RAM to a slower 2nd profile, but have you 'reset to defaults' and then 'exit and save'? That could be a solution...

Sorry about the delayed response I got called away there and was off line for a while. Not sure exactly how PCS works and I did't know about it before anyhow. I did look at buying ready built ones or ones built to spec but both defeated the object of saving money and from what I'd read and talked to friends about it looked like a pretty easy process. I'd never turned on a windows PC before this one but I thought if it dose't work I'd be able to sort any problems out with a bit of research on forums like this, at worst you just wipe and do a clean install or have to replace a component.
I don't know about resetting the BIOS. I never found any kind of reset button. I had to flash it half a dozen odd times though and I thought that resets everything? It looked like it had reset everything. I presumed if I'd flashed the BIOS a few times and done a clean install a few times and the problem perpetuated through all this it had to be hardware related so have't really looked at the BIOS for a while. Looks like I need a good PC fixing place in London, maybe that would be a more successful question, do you know anyone?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Yeah, flashing the BIOS will set it to default settings ( presuming your using a stock BIOS.... which I presume you are.)

You can rule out the OS as a problem here, that's not going to throw an overclocking error if its dodgy. My gut says motherboard, its unlikely that its the RAM given your testing and CPU's don't tend to go wrong these days. So I'd be looking at the motherboard. I'd consider asking Asus to setup an RMA, that would be my next course of action if it were my rig.