Crucible 2022

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've been on and off the snooker this week. Always been a big fan but I've struggled with timing in recent years. I've caught some great matches, so if the rest has been anything like what I have witnessed it's been a fantastic tournament.

I've always said that Stephen Hendry is the best player to ever pick up a pointy stick. People will always argue that it's Ronnie.... although Ronnie will always state Hendry.

I think that this years Semi Final is testament to the golden age that we witnessed in the 90s. We really saw the best of the best, an elite level of player come out from nowhere. There were always rivalries, but there was rarely 4 or 5 players truly pulling the trophy from each others grip; like there was then.

We are re-visiting that golden age. If either of them hit their peak it'll be the old-school to take the win, I think. My favourite out of the bunch is Sullivan. The best natural talent I have ever witnessed in the game. Hendry might have, in my eyes, always had his number when it was peak vs peak..... but Hendry had to spend 40 hours a week on the table to hit that peak.... Ronnie rolled off the couch for a 147, the likes I've never seen.

I cannot wait for these matches over the next few days. If you're even remotely a fan, tune in..... we're in for something special!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'd say that was actually Terry Griffiths

Ooft, you're going back now. I can't agree though, I think Davis & White were better than Griffiths. White got shut out unfortunately as he was always 2nd best to Davis & then Hendry. Any other era he would have been fantastic. White is actually one of my favourite players of all time also.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ooft, you're going back now. I can't agree though, I think Davis & White were better than Griffiths. White got shut out unfortunately as he was always 2nd best to Davis & then Hendry. Any other era he would have been fantastic. White is actually one of my favourite players of all time also.
Also you mustn't forget other great players such as Ray Reardon, and Alex "Hurricane" Higgins

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Also you mustn't forget other great players such as Ray Reardon, and Alex "Hurricane" Higgins

I'm not at all. They are all greats, and they were potentially considered the greatest at one point in time. I'm just considering the GOAT with Hendry and what I consider the golden age being the 90s when there were a half dozen truly great players all at the top and contesting at the same time.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'd go for Davis or O'Sullivan.

I've deliberately ignored Hendry as he used to take my prime parking spot at the Swallow hotel in Sheffield whenever he was playing at the Crucible in the 90s ;)

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Jimmy White every couple of years would play at a tiny local bar here with two snooker tables up stairs. "A Night with Jimmy" they where called and my god they were depressing never mind the £40 ticket they tried to sell

He'd land in about 8 or 9 barely speak a word, play 3-4 frames perfectly and skull about 7-8 pints. Then once completely smashed he'd start to take photos and talk a little all while still playing perfectly. About 10:30-11:00pm he'd barely be able to stand and have to be carried out "Everybody give it up for the legend Jimmy White"..... it was horribly depressing, I went to one of them never again. He's done this at least 4 times

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Jimmy White every couple of years would play at a tiny local bar here with two snooker tables up stairs. "A Night with Jimmy" they where called and my god they were depressing never mind the £40 ticket they tried to sell

He'd land in about 8 or 9 barely speak a word, play 3-4 frames perfectly and skull about 7-8 pints. Then once completely smashed he'd start to take photos and talk a little all while still playing perfectly. About 10:30-11:00pm he'd barely be able to stand and have to be carried out "Everybody give it up for the legend Jimmy White"..... it was horribly depressing, I went to one of them never again. He's done this at least 4 times

I went to one of the Dennis Taylor ones, which was absolutely fantastic. Similar level of skill but without the alcoholism in tow. Different experience obviously but it's always something they get into at the end of their career.

I believe Jimmy always had issues with various substances. Real shame for the guy and the pressure that they all feel.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I went to one of the Dennis Taylor ones, which was absolutely fantastic. Similar level of skill but without the alcoholism in tow. Different experience obviously but it's always something they get into at the end of their career.

I believe Jimmy always had issues with various substances. Real shame for the guy and the pressure that they all feel.
Yeah general consensus seems to be that these nights are usually brilliant, I wouldn't be a massive snooker fan but my mate is and I went with him (He bought the tickets). I remember my mate barely spoke a word on the dander home after it

Apparently he went to one just before the Pandemic with Jimmy White again and he said it was the complete opposite experience that he wasn't drinking and seemed in good spirits and had a good 20 minute chat with him so that was honestly really good to hear. Hopefully he's kept it up, competing at that level in any sport can be devastating to your mental health

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Similar level of skill but without the alcoholism in tow.
Two words: Bill Werbeniuk. I’m not old enough to have any real knowledge of the man but his exploits with booze and lucky shots are ingrained in snooker folklore.

It’s been a joy to watch Ronnie doing what he does in this tournament, I was watching the Higgins match today and it’s frightening how natural the game is to him. And how easily he slips between left and right handed cueing!

Regarding the O’Sullivan / Hendry paradigm, the best comparison I can come up with is fairly current; Ronaldo and Messi. One is a bit of an unnatural talent who sees things we can’t comprehend and the other is a testament to being good, and then putting the ridiculous hours in that it takes to get you to to legendary status.

At his peak, Hendry’s safety game was immense, forcing many an error and it’d be great to see him at full power against Ronnie.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
the only crucible i know is this one :
1651524905256.png

Dont look for me, i'm back at my phd manuscript XD

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Well done, Ronald!

What do you reckon, lads? BBC Sports Personality of the Year nailed on?

He's been absolutely fantastic. Barely a blip through the whole tournament!

Personality of the year though? I like the guy and love his sarcasm etc, the general public seem to get really annoyed with his antics though so I would be surprised if he got that.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
He's been absolutely fantastic. Barely a blip through the whole tournament!

Personality of the year though? I like the guy and love his sarcasm etc, the general public seem to get really annoyed with his antics though so I would be surprised if he got that.
He was SPOTY for me when he invited the ref to have a go at taking the shot when the white had been placed incorrectly 😆

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
He was SPOTY for me when he invited the ref to have a go at taking the shot when the white had been placed incorrectly 😆

Yeah, me too! Was brilliant.... however, in fairly typical fashion, the stuffies didn't see it quite so jovial and there was an uproar of moaning on social media.

He acts the way I would act, but that's not a good thing in the public view IMO. He gets my vote though :D