Curved or flat screen?

Scoredo

I’ve never had a curved monitor. I’ve just ordered a new desktop (3060Ti) and want a decent 1440 monitor, got a few suggestions but wondering if I should stay flat or try a curved. I mostly play anno 1800, civ, and things similar and do a bit of F1 2020 at the moment. The racing I could really see the benefit of the curve but not so much for other games I play.

Any thoughts?

steaky360

I'd suggest (although difficult right now) if you can, go check them out before purchasing - its really a matter of personal preference.

I have a Samsung G9 and I love it, the curve on this is very pronounced and actually takes a little while to get used too, but once you do, its really natural to look at the screen and very pleasing on the eyes.

However thats just me :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'd suggest (although difficult right now) if you can, go check them out before purchasing - its really a matter of personal preference.

I have a Samsung G9 and I love it, the curve on this is very pronounced and actually takes a little while to get used too, but once you do, its really natural to look at the screen and very pleasing on the eyes.

However thats just me :)
I would massively suggest this also, PCWorld often have a good selection of monitors on display.

A curve is a very personal thing. A lot of people think it helps with immersion when you're looking over 27", some people really don't like it and can't get used to the different viewpoint.

It's really something you need to see up close.

We've had a few people buying the Samsung Odyssey range of 1440p screens which are quite significantly curved, moreso than most other monitors, and they've not been people who've experienced curves before. All the feedback has been that it took a couple of days to get used to, but very positive.

Just as an aside, my recommendation for any 1440p monitor at the moment would be either the Samsung G5, or for a more premium version of the G5, this Asus which is the same as the G5 but IPS rather than TN:

Scoredo

Thanks both. Yeah would definitely be good to go and look but not ideal time at the moment. I was thinking that if I did go down the curved route then I wouldn’t go to severe with the curve.

due to desk space I was thinking 27” anyway. I like the ASUS you mentioned above although best price at the moment is curry’s and out of stock. Found it for £432. I was also looking at the Gigabyte G27Q or QC as this got good reviews on pcgamer. Any thoughts on the comparison between these? Refresh rate of 164 vs 144 but anything else?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just looked at your link, it’s £420 so that’s a little cheaper than I found. 👍
In stock as well. Overclockers are great for after sales support also.

Also, and I have absolutely no proof of this, it’s completely unfounded, but I’ve never had a part fail or had any issues with dead pixels or anything from any component I’ve bought from them. I don’t know if they manually check their own stocks for defects and reject lesser quality samples or something, perhaps it is just coincidence, but I’ve been using them since early 2000’s and I’m still running everything I’ve bought from them without ever having any kind of issue. For that reason, I tend to use them despite their higher delivery costs.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks both. Yeah would definitely be good to go and look but not ideal time at the moment. I was thinking that if I did go down the curved route then I wouldn’t go to severe with the curve.

due to desk space I was thinking 27” anyway. I like the ASUS you mentioned above although best price at the moment is curry’s and out of stock. Found it for £432. I was also looking at the Gigabyte G27Q or QC as this got good reviews on pcgamer. Any thoughts on the comparison between these? Refresh rate of 164 vs 144 but anything else?
The other monitor you mentioned doesn’t have full HDR, it’s a much lesser panel.

Scoredo

Still haven’t made a decision. Decided that if I go flat monitor then I’ll get the ASUS AQ one, but think I may want to go curved. G7 is really nice but what are the best curved monitors for gaming? Either 27” or a little bigger. Want good refresh and response times and good HDR picture. Any suggestions? Ideally under £500

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Still haven’t made a decision. Decided that if I go flat monitor then I’ll get the ASUS AQ one, but think I may want to go curved. G7 is really nice but what are the best curved monitors for gaming? Either 27” or a little bigger. Want good refresh and response times and good HDR picture. Any suggestions? Ideally under £500
G7 is for competitive gaming, you’re paying a huge premium for 240Hz which most people can’t notice. You could get a far superior 144Hz panel like the G5 or ASUs one for a lot less money which would perform better.

Scoredo

Yeah I wasn’t meaning getting the G7, it’s overkill for my needs and want to keep it more around the £400 mark.
Can’t seem to get a gigabyte G34WQC anywhere. No stock.
What other 32” curved or wide screen?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I wasn’t meaning getting the G7, it’s overkill for my needs and want to keep it more around the £400 mark.
Can’t seem to get a gigabyte G34WQC anywhere. No stock.
What other 32” curved or wide screen?
I would always recommend this one, it's the same specs as the Samsung G5, but with higher end IPS panel rather than TN, includes full HDR10 support which is normally only found on panels much much more expensive:

Samsung G5:

Or LG IPS (No HDR):

Scoredo

So hard to choose. Any idea why no G34WQC in stock anywhere or how long they will take? My order is going to take 3 weeks anyway.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So hard to choose. Any idea why no G34WQC in stock anywhere or how long they will take? My order is going to take 3 weeks anyway.
Everything is in short stocks, you have to grab anything really quickly as they're selling out fast. It's just the way things are for the next few months.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
<cough> it's important on TVs as well...well, TVs used for gaming anyway :) I have no clue if it makes any difference mind...I just see the little "HDR enabled" message come up on screen when I start a game and think "Oh, that's nice...thank you" :ROFLMAO:
Lols... it's a really great feature, pops colours much more vibrantly, and does local dimming for much blacker blacks and less brightness seeping in black / white contrast.

Scoredo

The only place I could find the Gigabyte monitor was from 2 3rd party sellers on Amazon....however, the cheapest of those was £620!! Spending that much you might as well just get a more expensive monitor
Yeah exactly. I’m not paying that for one. So much out of stock though, can’t find a G5 34 either.

I actually quite like the idea of a ultra wide curved now but seems like it’s a difficult place to shop as all the good ones are out of stock.

I’ve got a few weeks to decide as my pc won’t be ready for another 3 anyway. Just keeping an eye on stocks.
Still, any recommendations on good ultrawides around the 400-500 mark would be good.

I can recommend the DELL S3220DGF, it's a 1440p VA panel with a slight 1800R curve but runs up to 165Hz and low lag for a VA panel.

Has a very positive review on RTINGS and games look fantastic on it.

It's in stock at curry's and slightly cheaper directly from DELL at the moment but delayed until early Feb.