Custom liquid loop? You gotta see this

D

Deleted member 41971

After that I had visions of him coming back with an AK47 and seeing how well it coped with machine-gun fire.

but can it cope with this :LOL:

The Panther Tank - Page 2 - General Discussion - IL-2 ...

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Did you see the bit where he makes a cut, it leaks a tiny little bit, then the equaliser kicks in and you actually see it suck the leaked water back in before equalising and stopping further leaking.... so so clever!
I just can’t get my head round it, it’s genius. We need an engineer’s brain to explain it in simple terms to a unstoppable moron like me. @Scott, I’m looking at you here.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just can’t get my head round it, it’s genius. We need an engineer’s brain to explain it in simple terms to a unstoppable moron like me. @Scott, I’m looking at you here.
From what I can understand it's simply controlling pressure via pumping or extracting air, thereby putting the liquid in a pressurised state and creating an equilibrium. I'm sure @Scott would be able to give a far more reasoned explanation.

I'm sure that's a very simplistic view, they do recommend using the manufacturers coolant and tubing, so perhaps there's some additional magic going on with that.

So clever!

steaky360

From what I can understand it's simply controlling pressure via pumping or extracting air, thereby putting the liquid in a pressurised state and creating an equilibrium. I'm sure @Scott would be able to give a far more reasoned explanation.

I'm sure that's a very simplistic view, they do recommend using the manufacturers coolant and tubing, so perhaps there's some additional magic going on with that.

So clever!
It certainly appears to be doing this, making the internal pressure of the tubing approximately equal to the external pressure (seemingly favoring a slightly 'negative' bias). The 'valve' appears to be adjusting (and the system measuring) the air pressure within the tank which is directly related to the overall pressure within the loop.

Its a brilliant little idea - I do wonder though how things will hold up in the long run, most items are not designed to run under any real negative differential pressure (it puts a whole different stress on the components) and the various fittings and what not will also be designed with this in mind (or rather, the overwhelming majority of water cooling components won't be).

Maybe I'm overthinking because the pressure difference is in the millibar (ie 1000/bar, so 1/1000 air pressure, I doubt I would even be able to feel that). It's probably a non-event. Hopefully they'll sell well.

Maybe PCS can start using them in their water cooling set-ups - seems like a good unit for home users (thinking more newbies to custom loops) to give them a piece of mind :)

Edit: Looking at Aquacomputer's website a prerequisite is having components certified for use in a negative pressure environment so the above shouldn't be a concern.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
At a guess I would say it's running a vacuum with the air in the system. The initial pressure testing will run a positive pressure to check the mbar rating. Once it's in run mode, it'll draw out some of the air from the system creating a vacuum. Then.... the water will run around the system in a vacuum pressure state. When there's a puncture, the air is drawn in.... the internal pump will vacuum at maximum to try and protect the system. At some point, the pump will be overtaken by the leaks (hence why 3 holes was too much).

Very clever idea though and with it being water I can't think of any negatives to this approach. Air doesn't cool well in a vacuum but coolant won't really be affected.

He went a bit far with the testing though :ROFLMAO:

B Poot

Bronze Level Poster
Yes, it's actually doing slightly more than just creating a vacuum. If they create too hard a vacuum, it would suck air in and send it out of the exhaust air pump constantly. That would introduce a lot of air bubbles in the system and make the pump work very hard. If the water became too aerated, it would be difficult to maintain a constant pressure with a single exhaust point without accidentally squirting out water occasionally. Instead it is balancing just enough negative pressure in the system to counteract the water pressure trying to expel the water from the leak. Initially when a leak is detected it prefers a stronger vacuum until it finds the balance that it needs, that reduces the chance of water leaking. It is also why initially some of the leaked water gets pulled back in. After that it is finding a balance.