Customs tax question post-brexit

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Still no response from PCS, meanwhile a mainland EU competitor confirmed that they have all parts in stock and could only face 1-2 weeks of delay at most, I guess brexit doesn't help PCS's stock levels too
But back a few posts you said this....
Not yet, since they emailed my directly first, I emailed back asking for clarification, so far they did not update anything or sent any response back. They said either they can issue new invoices with VAT included and I would need to pay them directly, or they could "issue new invoices for a VAT exempt order where you pay to the courier when the goods are delivered", which sounded a bit weird, so I wanted to clarify on the 2nd option, what did they mean by VAT exempt order and what would I have to pay the courier. Will update as I get answers
Which, as I and others have suggested, is the solution to your problem. Have PCS issue new invoices for a VAT exempt order (and ask for the UK VAT back) and then pay the courier the cost of VAT and duty on import to your home country.

kozuki

Enthusiast
But back a few posts you said this....

Which, as I and others have suggested, is the solution to your problem. Have PCS issue new invoices for a VAT exempt order (and ask for the UK VAT back) and then pay the courier the cost of VAT and duty on import to your home country.
I would, but they are yet to respond to my Monday email reply to them. Once they verify that it is what we think it is, I will ask for that option. I suppose even if my build is going to progress into building/testing soon, they will fast track this issue before dispatching the machine.

kozuki

Enthusiast
update: PCS told me that they could send it with no VAT and leave it for FedEx, customs and me to sort out, which is the option I went with, as I consulted with the customs and my company here and we can work with this once it gets here. PCS did offer to pay the VAT to them and (with no confirmation) it would apparently cover the import tax and avoid extra handling fees added by the couriers, but as I am not interested in that option, I didn't enquire too much about it. Hopefully this helps anyone else if there are any questions raised by others.
Bear in mind, my order is going through a company, so it's not an individual person order, rather a company order, that is why there was no VAT paid in the first place.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
update: PCS told me that they could send it with no VAT and leave it for FedEx, customs and me to sort out, which is the option I went with, as I consulted with the customs and my company here and we can work with this once it gets here. PCS did offer to pay the VAT to them and (with no confirmation) it would apparently cover the import tax and avoid extra handling fees added by the couriers, but as I am not interested in that option, I didn't enquire too much about it. Hopefully this helps anyone else if there are any questions raised by others.
Bear in mind, my order is going through a company, so it's not an individual person order, rather a company order, that is why there was no VAT paid in the first place.

Hang on. If you didn't pay UK VAT in the first place then what's all the fuss been about?

kozuki

Enthusiast
Hang on. If you didn't pay UK VAT in the first place then what's all the fuss been about?
point is, ordering as a company that is VAT payer in here from 3rd countries (and EU too), the company gets VAT exempt, meaning there is no exchange of VAT between buying company and the seller, but PCS first communication about this issue was just that I need to pay VAT and did not mention that it would be to cover the potential import VAT on the border, so from the information that I had, I assumed they wanted me to pay VAT simply because that's the "new" rules after brexit. However after consulting with all parties, everything seems to be sorted out ok, we as a company get the machine to the border without any VAT added by PCS, then we sort out all the import stuff once we get the information from FedEx/customs.