Cyberpunk 2077

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Playing this on my new PC and its so stunning. I have a 3070ti and it runs 1440p between 60-90 FPS depending on how crowded the area, with ray tracing on and generally high settings. I really like to keep it above 60 as I feel I can tell when it drops below. It feels so immersive to just walk around in this world, and the conversations with the characters feel like a movie

unknown-103.png
To be honest, the PC verstion of the game has always been okay. The 1.5 update did fix a lot of the issues and it really is stunning. I've got a 3080 and usually run the game on 4K high settings and while I haven't benchmarked it (don't have the patience!), it runs pretty smoothly. I've dropped it down to 1440 a few times and the recommendation there is a mix of high and ultra. That's not quite as smooth, but still enjoyable!

Last edited:

BT81

Enthusiast
I have decided to start a new game after putting it down just after release, and I am really, really enjoying the game.
So, I haven’t really played the game since I bought it. I got on the hype train thinking I would play it 1440p with all the ray tracing bells and whistles on, with my 3070. Only to find out that to hit a smooooooth 60fps that even with dlss on quality ray tracing is a no go. So you I sulked and havent touched it since

However a year later - is it actually worth playing from a ‘this game is fun’ perspective? I have come to the realisation that 60fps all the RT is a bit of a pipe dream. So kick back, and just play and enjoy.

And if it is fun…..I will think about upgrading to a 3080 ;-)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So, I haven’t really played the game since I bought it. I got on the hype train thinking I would play it 1440p with all the ray tracing bells and whistles on, with my 3070. Only to find out that to hit a smooooooth 60fps that even with dlss on quality ray tracing is a no go. So you I sulked and havent touched it since

However a year later - is it actually worth playing from a ‘this game is fun’ perspective? I have come to the realisation that 60fps all the RT is a bit of a pipe dream. So kick back, and just play and enjoy.

And if it is fun…..I will think about upgrading to a 3080 ;-)
It's not the GPU holding you back, it's your CPU, at 1440p that game is majorly CPU heavy.

Aza

Rising Star
It's not the GPU holding you back, it's your CPU, at 1440p that game is majorly CPU heavy.

I wasnt aware of this.... to be honest, I hadnt looked into it that deeply and just stumbled on this thread where they had been a recent post...

Im like Barlew, got it when it released but I only briefly tried it out... I have a 2070 Super so was a little conservative with the graphics settings and was a little tentative about the whole raytracing aspect where I thought I'd really need one of the new RTX series to be able to properly handle the game and take advantage of the raytracing aspect.

I get a 2070 Super isnt going to give the same performance on the specific aspect of raytacing, but if the game itself is more CPU dependent I might try taking it up again.

Or do you think I would hit the same problems as BT81 with a AMD 3800XT? I'm on a 1440p monitor as well.

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'm not sure when you each last played the game @Aza & @BT81, but the 1.5 update has certainly made a big difference and I would say that the game is definitely worth a play from a "this is fun" perspective now. I have a 5800X & a 3080 and tend to play at 4k, but have given 1440 a try just to see the difference in how it plays. I would say that going into the graphics settings and hitting default has led to a fairly optimised feeling play experience. I'm not one for tweaking settings chasing the ultimate experience, but CP2077 did feel pretty good for me in that respect.

BT81

Enthusiast
I'm not sure when you each last played the game @Aza & @BT81, but the 1.5 update has certainly made a big difference and I would say that the game is definitely worth a play from a "this is fun" perspective now. I have a 5800X & a 3080 and tend to play at 4k, but have given 1440 a try just to see the difference in how it plays. I would say that going into the graphics settings and hitting default has led to a fairly optimised feeling play experience. I'm not one for tweaking settings chasing the ultimate experience, but CP2077 did feel pretty good for me in that respect.
Just started again today! Playing without RT and it 'more or less sticks to 60fps'

I assumed a mighty 3080 upgrade from the 3070 would liberate some RT goodness at a steady 60fps with quality dlss.

I'm surprised that the 3600x CPU is holding me back. Be cheaper to upgrade to the 5600x mind!

Aza

Rising Star
Just started again today! Playing without RT and it 'more or less sticks to 60fps'

I assumed a mighty 3080 upgrade from the 3070 would liberate some RT goodness at a steady 60fps with quality dlss.

I'm surprised that the 3600x CPU is holding me back. Be cheaper to upgrade to the 5600x mind!
What motherboard have you got? If you are gonna do it, look at the 5800X.... Might be worth waiting until the 7000 Series AMD come out so you should see a price drop, I'm told Autumn time.

wukeReacts

I have a 5600x and 3070ti and can confirm it doesnt drop below 60fps and mostly runs at 80fps with ray tracing on

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
I'm playing through post 1.5, having stopped after the initial release was a bit too buggy. I'm having an absolute blast running at 1440 with pretty high settings with a 1080ti/8700k. I don't know exact fps but it looks and plays great now on my system without any issues at all.

BT81

Enthusiast
I have a 5600x and 3070ti and can confirm it doesnt drop below 60fps and mostly runs at 80fps with ray tracing on
Begs the 64 thousand dollar question
Would I gain more from upgrading from a 3600x to a 5600x and keeping the 3070
Or. Upgrading from a 3070 to a 3080 and keeping the 3600x

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Begs the 64 thousand dollar question
Would I gain more from upgrading from a 3600x to a 5600x and keeping the 3070
Or. Upgrading from a 3070 to a 3080 and keeping the 3600x
What monitor do you have (resolution & refresh rate, or make and model)

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Dell 1440p 144hz - I’ll dig out the model name
Going by @smallkube's experience it would suggest that the CPU is holding you back. It certainly won't be the 3070 if a 1080Ti is keeping things running smoothly :)

The 8700K has good frequency where the 3600 was lacking a little. This was crushed with the 5600X & 5800X.

BT81

Enthusiast
At 1440p moving from the 3600x to the 5600x is the bigger upgrade. The 3080 will be mostly wasted at 1440p
So. Took your advice

Upgraded from a 3600x to a 5600x

Didn’t make much difference as it turned out

So. Bought a 3080 ;-)

Ray Tracing - bells and whistles - 1440p - Winner :)

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
3080 at 1440p is a waste of a 3080, it can do so much more you should be looking at 4K monitors with that card. That's what I meant by the comment you are quoting

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'll have to check if my last save is still working, as the last time I played I constantly got 'V has flatlined' and wouldn't let me save...that's why I stopped playing it, as I could never tell whether my progress would have saved or not!