Dealing with excess heat generated by liquid series

Elorand

Hey,

I never thought I will have to deal with such an issue because I have not had a high end computer before but since I bought a liquid series PC way too much excess heat is produced. All components including the cooling system work as a charm keeping the GPU & CPU at a cool. My issue is however with the heat coming out of the case and warming up the room. Especially now when the ambient temperature is around or above 20 degrees. I rent a house so a built in a/c is not an option. I was thinking to purchase a portable air cooler perhaps but I am equally interested in any alternative options.

If any of you had similar experience and found a viable solution please let me know how good or bad it is. Many thanks!

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hey,

I never thought I will have to deal with such an issue because I have not had a high end computer before but since I bought a liquid series PC way too much excess heat is produced. All components including the cooling system work as a charm keeping the GPU & CPU at a cool. My issue is however with the heat coming out of the case and warming up the room. Especially now when the ambient temperature is around or above 20 degrees. I rent a house so a built in a/c is not an option. I was thinking to purchase a portable air cooler perhaps but I am equally interested in any alternative options.

If any of you had similar experience and found a viable solution please let me know how good or bad it is. Many thanks!
I live in Italy and we are currently experiencing 40 degrees Celsius here. When I don’t turn on my portable A/C in the room my PC is, the fans seem a Boeing 737 taking off. With the A/C on it stays at low temperatures, so I’d definitely suggest getting it

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey,

20 degrees? Lucky you, it's been 38C here the last few days!

Elorand

:) 20 degrees and above outside but it is rainy this week. The PC given the 3080 and the 5900x adds at least another 5-10 imo when I render or play. And when the weather gets hotter it just amplifies the heat.

loso64

Hey,

haha :D welcome to watercooling :D My current 8700k OC to 5ghz all core is running AiO and it is like a small radiator :D with the new liquid series 5900x and 3080ti i fear what this will be like xD

In winter i tend to turn off heaters and have open window, this pc is enough to heat whole room :D
Now the worse part will be, that my gf is getting my current pc, and i am getting a new one that is even higher heat generator.
Gonna be toasty

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hey,

haha :D welcome to watercooling :D My current 8700k OC to 5ghz all core is running AiO and it is like a small radiator :D with the new liquid series 5900x and 3080ti i fear what this will be like xD

In winter i tend to turn off heaters and have open window, this pc is enough to heat whole room :D
Now the worse part will be, that my gf is getting my current pc, and i am getting a new one that is even higher heat generator.
Gonna be toasty
But isn't this good news? All that heat coming into the room is heat that is not going to shorten the life of your PC. That's what you want in a cooling system isn't it? The heat generated has to go somwehere.....

loso64

But isn't this good news? All that heat coming into the room is heat that is not going to shorten the life of your PC. That's what you want in a cooling system isn't it? The heat generated has to go somwehere.....
it is great thing, yes :D it is even better in winter :D but in summer, yeah xD
It is quite mindblowing how much heat the PC can generate, it really only shows once you go watercooling as the heat transfer is just insanely good.

steaky360

Your best bet is just to open the window I find, if you can't pump/move the excess heat out of the room you're essentially just recycling it - Portable air coolers (like self contained units) are not really great from what I've seen...

Not 100% on the science myself, never really looked into it in detail, but the explanation given here seems to be right enough;

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Your best bet is just to open the window I find, if you can't pump/move the excess heat out of the room you're essentially just recycling it - Portable air coolers (like self contained units) are not really great from what I've seen...

Not 100% on the science myself, never really looked into it in detail, but the explanation given here seems to be right enough;
interesting

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Open the window and the door and a window elsewhere, so you get a breeze coming all the way through. That will get much more airflow through the room than just opening a window will.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Most cooling is down to latent heat - the energy (as heat) that you have to input or remove in order to get a substance to change phase; from solid to liquid or liquid to gas. It's how your body cools itself. Sweat forms a liquid on your skin, as this evaporates into the air from the heat of your body it draws latent heat from your skin in the phase change, this makes you feel cooler. Wind flowing over your skin speeds up the evaporation, so more latent heat is drawn from your skin and you feel cooler still.

In my youth I used to work in an ice rink, I was part of the ice crew who prepared the ice surface between sessions. In those days it was a manual operation and the last process was to add water to the ice to maintain the required thickness. We used a blanket attached to a 'T' piece of pipe which was attached to a hose connected to a tap. You walked across the ice dragging the blanket which spread an even layer of water as you walked.

We knew from long experience that using water from the hot tap made the job faster. Hot water would freeze much faster than cold water. In ice shows when we'd redo the ice in the interval we'd always use hot water. If you stood still using hot water the blanket would immediately freeze to the ice surface.

The reason is latent heat. Hot water is less dense than cold water (because it's hot) so that means that there are fewer water molecules per unit volume (that's what density is). Fewer water molecules means less latent heat has to be lost to change its state than the higher density cold water and so it changes state faster. Yes, it's perfectly true that the hot water has to be cooled much further down than the cold water, from (say) 70C to 0C whilst the cold water only has to cool from (say )10C to 0C - but that's an indication of how important latent heat is. Even though we had to cool hot water down further than cold, the reduction in the amount of latent heat required was so large that hot water will freeze faster than cold. And the hotter it is the faster it freezes!