Defiance Series: 17.3

mike01

Had new laptop for 6 days now , and I must say
Im very impressed with it .
from other reviews I read , it could not be future from
the truth

does not get overly hot , nor that noisy , as I do a lot
of video converting using handbrake , and editing using videoredo , so in use at least 6 hrs per day
have not really timed battery life yet , will do soon

I have replaced my 3 yr old msi ge72 , with this one .
its lighter , faster and a smaller foot print as , both are 17" and thinner too
took 11-12 days from ordering it , for it to arrive at my door here in spain , so very quick indeed

I paid £1400 or so , and its worth every penny .

specs below

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Defiance Series 4 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (62WH)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 M.2 GAMING + BLUETOOTH 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
2 x USB 3.1 PORTS (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS
Keyboard Language
RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
2 - 6 DAY DELIVERY TO EUROPE (COUNTRY DEPENDANT)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days

Attachments

• 20191219_180034.jpg
    20191219_180034.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 395
  • 20191219_180129.jpg
    20191219_180129.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 20191219_180135.jpg
    20191219_180135.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 370

Arney11

Looks good, I'm looking at getting this one or the Recoil with a similar spec. My current laptop is a Defiance from 2015 and it got very hot and noisy, so it's good to hear this version is better for that.

mike01

it is a beauty

over 1 month later , and still loving new laptop , does not get overly hot , as its on my legs most
of the time . I have been using it non stop all day everyday , editing and converting videos

I can hear the woosh of the fans at times , but its not nosiy tbh , for me it was worth every penny

Scanian

Bronze Level Poster
Love to hear it. I am waiting eagerly for mine. I see that you, like me, chose more and faster memory and SSD drive + the cheap upgrade of the heat paste. There is only one thing I changed in the last minute, which I think I was correct to do.

Notice that this is the standard option, but the bottleneck of a Wi-Fi is not exactly in the internal speed of the card bus, so why occupy the other M.2 slot with a Wi-Fi card? Much better to leave it empty for adding more fast disk when needed. I chose the non-M.2 option at the same price.

Scanian

Bronze Level Poster
And what a coincidence that I replaced my 3,5 year old msi gt72 (so not ge) as well. I'll get back this thread when I get my new Defiance and we can compare experiences. Not sure about the big difference between ge72 and gt72 though. My model is Dominator and not Apache.

mike01

Love to hear it. I am waiting eagerly for mine. I see that you, like me, chose more and faster memory and SSD drive + the cheap upgrade of the heat paste. There is only one thing I changed in the last minute, which I think I was correct to do.

Notice that this is the standard option, but the bottleneck of a Wi-Fi is not exactly in the internal speed of the card bus, so why occupy the other M.2 slot with a Wi-Fi card? Much better to leave it empty for adding more fast disk when needed. I chose the non-M.2 option at the same price.

my other laptop had the killer wifi , I really dont store much on laptop anyway , I have a 4 tb and 6 tb ext hdd,s that I store
all my stuff on , have the same on both incase

hope you enjoy your new lappy , I love mine

mike01

And what a coincidence that I replaced my 3,5 year old msi gt72 (so not ge) as well. I'll get back this thread when I get my new Defiance and we can compare experiences. Not sure about the big difference between ge72 and gt72 though. My model is Dominator and not Apache.

a big coincidence lol ,
I only replaced it because the 2 hinges were broke , not sure what the diffeece is between them , my new lappy is about 1 inch smaller
all round , due to the less edge around the screen , and its lighter too

still have it in case , getting my mate to take the screen off , and my sister can use it as a desktop , yes let me know how you get on with it bud

mlz

I am between this model and the octane VI. can you tell me if with this model it is possible to control the speed of the fans through some software?

mike01

I am between this model and the octane VI. can you tell me if with this model it is possible to control the speed of the fans through some software?

Hi MLZ

I have installed conrtol panel 3.0 , where you can control the speed of the fan
adjust keyboard layout etc ,

Hope this answers your question

Attachments

• cc.PNG
    cc.PNG
    602.6 KB · Views: 343