Desktop Graphics Cards

Dionysus

I really want to buy a custom build, my budget allows for a Ryzen 7 3800X and an RTX 2070 Super. I have heard that the RTX cards are Palit (2070 super X) and have a single fan. I have been very careful in choosing the right components for me, but I am a little bit concerned with the single fan on the Palit card. Are there any alternative choices without breaking my budget?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Order the system without a GPU (which unlike quite a few other companies, PCS let you do) and then buy and fit your own RTX 2070 Super, of whatever model you want :)

PCS use, mostly, Palit and Zotac cards for their Nvidia GPUs. The exact model can vary. They can be "blower" cards like the Palit 2070 Super X, or they can be twin or even triple fan cards - sometimes the Zotac AMP! It depends what they have sourced as stock, and there's no way to guarantee a specific model - all you can do is ask what they will be using for their build, and decide accordingly.

They do sell Asus Strix GPUs, but the pricing on these is usually horrendous. So buy and fit your own if they are using a blower card and you want to avoid that.

Blower cards are single fans with a specific design ('squirrel cage' fan) that blows air through the card and out the back of the PC
p03310_indexpic_3375d19a6ced82fb.png

Versus open fan coolers that blow the heat into the case (e.g. Palit 2070 Super GR - which I think is Game Rock)
p03296_indexpic_11885d19a29f57af9.png

You do get some GPUs with single fans, that are open fans. Though usually at the more mid-range end of the spectrum e.g. on a 1660 ti or even RTX 2060 (here a Palit 2060 StormX)
p03146_indexpic_3495c469224c2559.png

So what you're trying to avoid is not a single fan cooler per se, but a blower card.

Blower cards do have their uses, but in general an open fan / twin fan cooler will be preferable.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Don't buy the R7 3800x unless you want both free games very much indeed. Performance wise, it's not worth the price premium over the 3700x in the slightest. You can hardly slide a sheet of paper between them in terms of performance.

Dionysus

Don't buy the R7 3800x unless you want both free games very much indeed. Performance wise, it's not worth the price premium over the 3700x in the slightest. You can hardly slide a sheet of paper between them in terms of performance.

That is really good to know, thank you. I have dropped to the 3700x (also dropped the PSU from gold) and added the Rog Strix 2070 Super and I am still in budget. (specs in next post)

Dionysus

Order the system without a GPU (which unlike quite a few other companies, PCS let you do) and then buy and fit your own RTX 2070 Super, of whatever model you want :)

PCS use, mostly, Palit and Zotac cards for their Nvidia GPUs. The exact model can vary. They can be "blower" cards like the Palit 2070 Super X, or they can be twin or even triple fan cards - sometimes the Zotac AMP! It depends what they have sourced as stock, and there's no way to guarantee a specific model - all you can do is ask what they will be using for their build, and decide accordingly.

They do sell Asus Strix GPUs, but the pricing on these is usually horrendous. So buy and fit your own if they are using a blower card and you want to avoid that.

Blower cards are single fans with a specific design ('squirrel cage' fan) that blows air through the card and out the back of the PC
p03310_indexpic_3375d19a6ced82fb.png

Versus open fan coolers that blow the heat into the case (e.g. Palit 2070 Super GR - which I think is Game Rock)
p03296_indexpic_11885d19a29f57af9.png

You do get some GPUs with single fans, that are open fans. Though usually at the more mid-range end of the spectrum e.g. on a 1660 ti or even RTX 2060 (here a Palit 2060 StormX)
p03146_indexpic_3495c469224c2559.png

So what you're trying to avoid is not a single fan cooler per se, but a blower card.

Blower cards do have their uses, but in general an open fan / twin fan cooler will be preferable.

I could order without the GPU which would make a lot of sense, but I want to keep warranty confined to one place. (updated specs in another post)

Dionysus

Case
NZXT H500 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (WHITE)
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Eight Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME B450-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 2 x HDMI, 2 x DP
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 100 V2 Series High Performance CPU Cooler (AMD)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Wireless/Wired Networking
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

£1,594.00 inc. VAT

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
DON'T buy the Strix. :) it's a shocking waste of cash. £130 more than a 'normal' RTX 2070 Super?!?! That's half the way to a 2080 Super. Edit: just checked - the 2080 Super is less than £100 more than the 2070 Super Strix. That price is outrageous.

Buy the system without a GPU and buy and fit your own. You'll need to upgrade your GPU in due course anyway (as it normal for any gaming PC) , so it's not like you don't need that skill.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Do you have any uses besides gaming and VR gaming? Video editing? Other things? What software?

Dionysus

Do you have any uses besides gaming and VR gaming? Video editing? Other things? What software?

I'm leaning more and more towards buying a build without a GPU and buying one elsewhere.

I will use the machine for a mixture of coding, audio production and kicking back with some highly pleasing visual games (the GPU is just for playing games at the weekend. I'm thinking RTX 2070 because in time ray tracing will become more popular and I want to take my mind off work by playing something visually pleasing)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
And - sorry, forgot to ask the key question! - what monitor are you gaming on? What resolution and refresh rate?