Desktop Replacement Laptop

Hi all,

New to the website and the concept, fed up of my huge desktop going to sell it but don't really want to compromise on performance, I seen these desktop replacement laptops and I was intrigued looking to get a i9-11 and a 3080, seen that the processors are available in the K range, which as far as I can tell are designed for desktops, I didn't think this was possible but does that mean the GPU is also some how a desktop version without the huge fans etc that you find on desktop GPUs?

Parts are due in for August 1st so I can't order now even though I would nd wait the month or whatever, definitely going to purchase one if that's the case, I will be using off the mains majority of the time I just want the option to bring it with me when I travel really which is not on with a desktop.

Final question, as you guys are based in UK, I want the laptop delivered to Spain, is there any issue with EU customers or is this one going to be built in the EU at one of the subsidiaries if ordered for Spain or is there some other solution to this, wouldn't like to pay 20% on 2,500-3,000 euros to be honest!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
With a desktop replacement laptop, don't expect to use it for long on battery, those desktop CPU's need a lot of power which a battery can't provide on its own

Yeah it's more for portability on travel rather than use of the move, I rarely use a laptop that's not plugged into mains. Just can't bring a full gaming desktop on a plane 😂

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah it's more for portability on travel rather than use of the move, I rarely use a laptop that's not plugged into mains. Just can't bring a full gaming desktop on a plane 😂
My misinterpretation of your off the mains comment, i took it as not plugged in rather than plugged in........ :ROFLMAO: (y)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'd love to hear from anyone who knows what the deal with these is
A DTR is desktop processors but laptop GPUs.

They’re functionally exactly the same as a laptop but not designed to be portable, poor battery life and a lot thicker abs heavier than a laptop.

But because of the desktop CPUs they’re significantly more powerful.

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
After the technical answers, here is my answer about shipping ^^

I'm french, so, i ordered my dtr (the recoil 17', you can find the spec on the forum ;) ) on the french website and that's it, no problems ;)
The tva was set for the french one and the warranty was set to the one mandatory in france (the gold one)

The only thing that was a little bit long was the delivery, but, covid and brexit "oblige", it was expected ;)

And, even if i didn't do my review YET (i'll do it, i promise :D ) i'm really happy with it ;)

After the technical answers, here is my answer about shipping ^^

I'm french, so, i ordered my dtr (the recoil 17', you can find the spec on the forum ;) ) on the french website and that's it, no problems ;)

The only thing that was a little bit long was the delivery, but, covid and brexit "oblige", it was expected ;)

And, even if i didn't do my review YET (i'll do it, i promise :D ) i'm really happy with it ;)
Thank you for the information, delays I can accept a surprise €400 charge I cannot 😂

When did you order I know delivery was really bad from UK / Ireland some months ago hoping it has improved now.

How is with heat temperature? Which processor / gpu did you get?

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So, to start, here is the thread with all my intel ^^

Then, to answer your questions and comment

the tva will not be "a surprise" because it will be display on the total on the webpage (you should have the price with and without the vat)

I ordered my laptop the 22 of may with the fast track option (it was built in 3 days) and i received it the 2 of june (insted of the 28 of may as announced by fedex ;) )

I got the i7-11700k and a 3080 gpu
For the temperature, the laptop itself is not so warm (i have to say that the place where you put your hands is really cool), but the "vented" (not sur about this word) air can be hot, so, to avoid my hand to be cooked ;D, i just turn my laptop a little bit and everything is fine ;)

i think the cpu is on the left side of the laptop, so the hot air is vented on the left side, and, as i have my mouse on the right side, it's pretty much okay ^^
And i "play" with the fan setting int the control center, and now, it very rare that i have to be cautious of this "problem"
But, note that, for now, i play "old game" and i didn't play yet to the newest one (i wish day have 48h ...)

did i answer all your questions ?

So, to start, here is the thread with all my intel ^^

Then, to answer your questions and comment

the tva will not be "a surprise" because it will be display on the total on the webpage (you should have the price with and without the vat)

I ordered my laptop the 22 of may with the fast track option (it was built in 3 days) and i received it the 2 of june (insted of the 28 of may as announced by fedex ;) )

I got the i7-11700k and a 3080 gpu
For the temperature, the laptop itself is not so warm (i have to say that the place where you put your hands is really cool), but the "vented" (not sur about this word) air can be hot, so, to avoid my hand to be cooked ;D, i just turn my laptop a little bit and everything is fine ;)

i think the cpu is on the left side of the laptop, so the hot air is vented on the left side, and, as i have my mouse on the right side, it's pretty much okay ^^
And i "play" with the fan setting int the control center, and now, it very rare that i have to be cautious of this "problem"
But, note that, for now, i play "old game" and i didn't play yet to the newest one (i wish day have 48h ...)

did i answer all your questions ?
Ah yes thank you, I have all the information I need, the UK site was not adding the VAT but I switched to the Spanish one and it did.

I think I will do a similar one to you 3080 but maybe the i9 with a smaller boot drive and a cheaper larger 2nd drive. Good to hear about Temps mine will be a desktop 99.5% of the time so I'm fine with this.

Thank you very much for your answers 😊

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ah yes thank you, I have all the information I need, the UK site was not adding the VAT but I switched to the Spanish one and it did.

I think I will do a similar one to you 3080 but maybe the i9 with a smaller boot drive and a cheaper larger 2nd drive. Good to hear about Temps mine will be a desktop 99.5% of the time so I'm fine with this.

Thank you very much for your answers 😊

You're welcome ^^
I use mine as desktop for now, and from time to time on battery mode.
Note that you'll have max 2h of battery on web browsing and youtube with medium light display

the rgb keyboard and light bar are really fun to play with ;)

(be carefull with the price with 3080 and the i9 ^^)

Mashup47

Bronze Level Poster
4 months? Why the delay?
I maxed the specs out to the tune of £3500 but think it was the Motherboard and processor as far as I can tell that caused the delay. But now they have stopped selling the Valeaon for some reason?. So best of luck with yours and hope you get it quicker and not have the 100 day wait.

Last edited: