Details about Portal 2's "steamplay"

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
To sum it up, ps3 owners who buy portal 2 will get a free steam copy and be able to play cross platform.
Retail versions of portal 2 come out on Thursday 21st April.

-The first title to support Steam on a console, Portal 2 offers cross-platform matchmaking, gameplay, friends, chat, and achievements, all powered by Steam. Steam on the PS3 also saves co-op game progress and single player saved games to the Steam Cloud, enabling players to pick up where they left off on any PlayStation 3.

- The Steam overlay for PS3 provides access to both PSN and Steam friends, displaying their in-game or online status and providing a quick pathway to text chats, player profiles, friend requests, and game invites. Steam Achievements are earned in lockstep with PSN Trophies and are also accessible within the Steam overlay.

- Steam on the PS3 provides access to all of these features once the player has linked their PlayStation Network account with a Steam account, which is done right within the game. A Steam user can login to an existing account, and anyone new to Steam can create an account with the click of a button.

- In the spirit of Steam Play, linked players of the PS3 version of Portal 2 can also access and play their copy of Portal 2 on any PC or Mac by redeeming an in-box access code on their computer. The Steam client verifies the linked customer and then lists Portal 2 among their library of Steam games for PC and Mac

Last edited:
Hells yeah, I already got a PS3 and I can't wait for portal 2.. by the time my PC comes it'll be time for Portal 2 so I can play it on both anyway!

Gishank

Bright Spark
Interestingly enough the release date for Portal 2 (according to clues released by Valve) is meant to be today at 9am PST (instead of the 19th), or at least for Steam itself.

I read something on Joystiq earlier about once something's completed, Portal 2 being available for Download via Steam too..

Gishank

Bright Spark
Yeah, I was disappointed when I found out what they were planning. If you look at the progress bar it doesn't seem like it will be released till release day anyway, it just seems a rather appauling attempt to get people to part with their cash.