Diagnose SSD issue on Linux / update bios firmware

I got my laptop last April without an OS, and installed Xubuntu on it (see bottom for relevant specs). It worked fine, but I've had some times when the machine just hangs. Sometimes the symptoms seem similar to this:
https://superuser.com/questions/1194478/ssd-suddenly-becomes-unreadable-how-to-diagnose
But currently it's a bit different (it boots correctly, but as soon as I try to do anything like open a terminal / browser, it hangs: I can't even log in from the console.
Booting from a USB key seems to work.
Maybe I need to send the ssd back to PCS for a replacement, but given the pain that it would cause me I'd rather not if it's not necessary. I also suspect that they would like me to have some sort of proof of a problem before taking it back to them. I've tried all the tests I can think of on a bootable system, but it doesn't find any issues.
I'd quite like to upgrade the bios firmware in case it's related to the linked superuser issue: has anyone any experience of doing that?

All suggestions for courses of action gratefully received! I currently can't work which is not good!

Chassis & Display UltraNote Series: 14" Matte Full HD IPS 60 Hz 45% NTSC LED Widescreen
(1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i5 Quad Core Processor i5-10210U (1.6GHz, 4.2GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card INTEL® HD GRAPHICS (CPU Dependant) - 1.7GB Max DDR4 Video RAM - DirectX®
1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hopefully some Linux experts will be along to help you.

Unfortunately, PCS do not offer any support for Linux so proving to them that you have an SSD fault might be tricky.

Stephen M

Author Level
Have you upgraded the OS since installing. I have had various problems with Ubuntu over a couple of machines on the last two upgrades - my guess is that any glitch in Ubuntu will pass on to the other flavours.

My problems were different but in general I find Ubuntu not as reliable as it was, have moved to Manjaro on my desk top, if you have time it may be worth seeing if a different OS performs OK on the drive. After any problems I like to do a fresh install and it may be worth doing that with your Xubuntu.

jerome_jm_martin

Bronze Level Poster
hi,

if I understand correctly you have random 'hangs' when booting from ssd, but not from usb drives.

if this correct try this steps first :

1) test carrefully your ram, memtest is your friend, and let it run few hours.
2) check the integrity of the media you installed Xubuntu from.

J.