did my first GPU under volt, am happy, thanks to threads and good info on here :)

leea123

Enthusiast
Sorry if in the wrong section to post but it's my favorite section :)

So after watching lots of videos and some good info from here I decided to give my learning a little test :). And I am happy with the way it has turned out. My 3080-gigabyte oc was my challenge and so far I think I have done ok.

I did it in a rather basic way in the end but it seemed to have the desired effect . I have got a stable under volt at 850mv and I was aiming for the 1800mhz core speed that gpuz was showing was the boost, also confirmed on the website.
So I used msi afterburner and the curve editor and with a little info from some video links which I got from here on some threads I set my curve. Before the under volt my gpu was reaching 78-80c but was boosting to 1950mhz sometimes and fans spinning at near 80 percent sometimes .
After the curve, I am getting temps of 69-70c and fans percentage on gpu 70 percent now.

Even though the clock speed is now set to roughly 1800mhz and it no longer boosts higher than that as far as I can see, I have not noticed any difference really in fps at all, maybe a couple of frames here and there, but that is nothing that I am going to notice.

So i now have a GPU running a lot cooler and quieter and same performance, and with the extra headroom in temp, I could possibly drop the fan speed with a curve a little more if wanted to .but am happy with it so will leave as is now.

Just wanted to post this, as asked many questions on here trying to learn, and just to show, that the good advice and info I have got has really helped me.
Thank you all .:)

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Undervolting a GPU is quite easy with Afterburner, much easier than trying to do the same with a CPU at a per core level in my experience. No performance loss, lower thermals, lower acoustics, it's a no brainer to do really.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Undervolting a GPU is quite easy with Afterburner, much easier than trying to do the same with a CPU at a per core level in my experience. No performance loss, lower thermals, lower acoustics, it's a no brainer to do really.
I almost think that it's more becoming a defacto expectation that undervolts are required.