Differences is opinions between forum boards

A314159

Super Star
I recently got hit by the down vote train over on r/buildapc for claiming somebody, for a gaming rig, should go for a 6300 over a pentium. I don't know why, but over there they seem to hate AMD and swear by intel for anything - I saw a guy with an i3 and a r9 280x non reference overclocked and all that shenanigans.
What I found even weirder was that they generally advise TOWARDS a 750ti over the AMD equivalents which perform significantly better. However, they do seem to much more highly prioritise an SSD than most people on here.

Just thought it was weird how the different forum boards treated the parts differently....

T

TheGeeza

Perhaps that forum has some kind of sponsorship from intel and nvidia.
I experienced similar on that forum. It's not fair especially if they are giving bad advice just because of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Im an AMD user at the moment and my friends all have Nvidia's and the just seem to have a better experience on certain games, as do i on AMD optimised games.

However the software and drivers for Nvida seem much better that those that we get for AMD, the who brand is just cooler too.

I've had a few problems with AMD for instanced i have no brightness controls on Windows 8 and despite multiple emails to AMD support i havent even received a "Hello" or "Thanks for getting in touch".

For those reason my next machine will be a Nvidia.

I feel like AMD was a good stepping stone into PC gaming for me and i wouldn't tell someone not to go for it, its a great product with Bang for Buck i just feel if you want the more refined experience Nvidia will be the way forward.

Just my opinion

Mike

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I don't frequent many other places that talk about tech because I cant be bothered arguing with people as described above.

You cannot question that intel > AMD for a gaming rig, but that doesn't hold true for everyone at every budget level. If you have a limited budget then an AMD is probably the way to go, but more and more I think most people with any sort of budget can get an i5 and be laughing all the way to a machine they can upgrade with a better GPU down the road for a longer live machine.

I generally don't find myself speccing many AMD builds because I treat a SSD as a luxury. Yes they are nice but they provide exactly 0 FPS boost, so when people ask for a gaming rig that what I go for, tings that help gaming performance. For the most part I would cram in an intel CPU at the cost of forgoing a caviar black.

Out of interest what Pentium was it? intel just released a kick ass new Pentium G3258 that is beastly when overclocked for gaming. Depending on the type of game you want to play an i3 can sometimes be even better than an 8 core AMD, all down to performance in single threaded applications. It's tough to please everyone all of the time, I would worry about it.

When I spec machine for people on here I take into consideration what they need, max budget and overall balance. So I wouldn't bother skimping on the CPU/GPU just to get a SSD (for a gaming only rig). Meh, don't worry about it, the internet is full of experts.

A314159

Super Star
It was the g3258 but even so overclocking voids warranty... Eh, I doubt it matters.

To me it seems that since they are building the machine themselves, they basically spec the same in terms of gaming performance as I'd get from here, but with an SSD and maybe a slightly overclocked non reference GPU (also, people like the msi twin frozr edition cards.... Because they look good. One guy said looks had been his only concern shopping for a 770)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I've never had any problems with AMD products,at the moment I have an AMD Phenom processor and an R9 280X and they've performed very well with anything I've thrown at them including recent games,never had any problems with graphics drivers either.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Well if it was indeed the Pentium G3258 it only really exists to be overclocked, and when overclocked it matches pretty much everything AMD can do - well almost. Intel now lets you kill 1 chip, send it back in and they give you a replacement. They are pretty much telling you to overclock them, especially the Pentium G3258 as that's the whole point of it.

I think the main difference between the PCS forum and an 'enthusiast' forum is people building for themselves have a very specific dream computer. They realise a 770 will perform within a couple % of any other 770 and want a machine that looks good. people buying from PCS probably don't understand the relative merits of a Pentium G3258 vs a i7 4690 vs an fx 6100, you go into battle with an enthusiast about which is better and you need to be talking about excruciatingly precise scenarios to get anywhere near an answer.

Those forums are about 'building the dream' people chewing the fat about a dream computer. They will then push that dream onto everyone, that's my opinion anyway.

A314159

Super Star
Yeah, I can agree with you mantadog. The intel "burnt bacon" scheme as I shall call it is pretty interesting...