Digital Gaming Platforms - e.g. Origin, Steam etc advice

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi,

I haven't been a serious PC gamer as I have been used to console gaming, e.g. PS4 and Xbox One. But I am thinking about possibly buying more PC games now I have a new PC.

My only previous experience of digital PC gaming using a digital distribution gaming platform is Orgin. So Steam and the many other ones are new to me.

In relation to game installations does Steam etc work similar to Origin?

My new PC has a m.2 Corsair MP600 SSD, which Windows 10 Professional is installed on and a 3TB Toahiba HDD, which is currently empty.

Would it best for me install Orgin onto the SSD and install the games on the 3TB HDD and move a game over to the SDD when needed to play it?

When I copy the Orgin save files back to the Documents folder, would it best to sync these with the cloud version(s)?

My Origin game installations were backed up when did a complete image of HDD on my old PCS build. Would it be okay for me to copy the Program Files "Orgin Games" folder from the image that I made using Macrium Reflect free? Or should I do a fresh install from the physical game discs where applicable?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated, please.

Thank you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

I haven't been a serious PC gamer as I have been used to console gaming, e.g. PS4 and Xbox One. But I am thinking about possibly buying more PC games now I have a new PC.

My only previous experience of digital PC gaming using a digital distribution gaming platform is Orgin. So Steam and the many other ones are new to me.

In relation to game installations does Steam etc work similar to Origin?

My new PC has a m.2 Corsair MP600 SSD, which Windows 10 Professional is installed on and a 3TB Toahiba HDD, which is currently empty.

Would it best for me install Orgin onto the SSD and install the games on the 3TB HDD and move a game over to the SDD when needed to play it?

When I copy the Orgin save files back to the Documents folder, would it best to sync these with the cloud version(s)?

My Origin game installations were backed up when did a complete image of HDD on my old PCS build. Would it be okay for me to copy the Program Files "Orgin Games" folder from the image that I made using Macrium Reflect free? Or should I do a fresh install from the physical game discs where applicable?

Thank you.
Personally I’d just install the games onto the m2 drive when you’re ready to play them. You don’t need to install them until you’re ready to play, it’s not like you log into your account and it automatically installs your whole library.

many games client is exactly the same, it’s basically just a download manager and storefront.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You can use the old install files so you don't need to redownload lots of games.

Copy the game files to wherever you want them to be installed.

In the Origin client, go to your library

Select one of the games whose files you've copied over

Click the settings cog icon next to download

This brings up Locate Game as an option. Select that and navigate to wherever you put the game.

1581089851101.png

Most game clients have a feature similar to this, or other methods of using existing game install files

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi,

Thanks for all of your advice guys.

I have also looked at GOG, which says that the games on this platform do not need Internet access or activation and are DRM-free.

What is the difference between GOG and other platforms like Origin, Steam, etc?

Thank you.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
DRM is digital rights management. In gaming terms this usually means you need to run the games through a client like Steam, Origin, etc which verifies you have a legitimate copy. You may not need to be permanently connected to the internet, but periodically Steam will want you to be connected and game activation etc requires you to be connected at the time.

In many ways this means you don't own a copy of the game like you own a book or a DVD but you own a licence, which you can only use through someone else's terms.

GOG is DRM-free, so you buy the game from them, download it, and that's the last time you'll need the internet to launch the game - you'll never be asked to confirm your ownership of the game again. You can launch the game without needing to be signed into GOG or even have the GOG client running. The copy of the game is actually yours.

Unlike Origin or Steam. Where you need the client running and to be signed in.

films&games

Enthusiast
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using GOG.com for DRM-free games?

If so, are they reliable?

What is the best payment method to use?

How well do the games work on Windows 10?

What is the best method to use to download the games from them - GOG Galaxy client, the download manager or through a web browser?

Thank you.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using GOG.com for DRM-free games?

If so, are they reliable?

What is the best payment method to use?

How well do the games work on Windows 10?

What is the best method to use to download the games from them - GOG Galaxy client, the download manager or through a web browser?

Thank you.
They’re the same as any other games service, it’s just that the games are drm free, but it’s exactly the same as steam or uplay or any of the other, it just manages game downloads and has a store front.

they’re totally legit, there’s no issue with piracy or anything. Pay as you would with any other online system.
all games are windows 10 compatible unless otherwise stated as with all games managers. They’re all the same, just have diffeeent catalogues and prices.