Dining with the Devil

Stephen M

Author Level
Would appreciate a bit of info from anyone dual-booting 'nix and Windows. Does Windows play nicely as the second OS of a dual-boot or would I need to install W10 first and then put the 'nix on after.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Different drives or on the same drive?

If the same drive, Windows first, then Linux I think as Windows' boot loader won't play nice. If different drives I'd probably unplug all other drives, install one OS, unplug that and plug in your other drive, install the other OS, then plug all drives back in - and pick which to boot from using the BIOS.

Stephen M

Author Level
Cheers, still got a year to think about it and if I can get away with using W7 offline will continue with that but the OU may be download only by then for their course software, so may have to get W10.

Stephen M

Author Level
No, but my experiences of Wine are that it can be unreliable and I know of other students who have tried and failed with it. For other things I would give it a go but not for something vital.

markh

Bronze Level Poster
Yes my experience with it tends to be some things work, others just don't. There are endless Wine add-ons that you can DL via the package manager, it takes ages but supposedly gives programs the best chance of working. I tried this with the intention of trying to get MaxMSP to work in Linux, but... I gave up lol. But I've heard other people have persevered and succeeded