Disappointed

MRCC

In my thread “First View of Computer”, I promised to post some more detailed photos. (If I have offended PCS by including my ‘mature’ case in this posting – I apologise. I hope that he has not had a sense of humour failure! - He has made no comment so far!)

I intended posting some detailed photos, however, my new computer that I spent ages trying to determine a specification for has turned into a dead, non-working machine within 24 hours of switching it on. I am sure that you do not wish to see photos of a dead beast.

The machine booted up fine initially. I did this quite a few times – in total about 40 to 50 times. I made no hardware changes. I did make one software change – I installed my Kaspersky instead of the trial Bullguard. The machine worked well and again I had turned it off and then on at least 20 times post that. All seemed to be well. I turned it off that night intending the next morning to spend the day transferring what I needed from my old (but working!) computer.

The next morning, turned the machine on. The fans operated and lights came on – but nothing on the monitor. I changed monitors and leads – still the same.

Having spent a total of about 120 minutes in 4 sessions, either waiting or on the phone to PCS support (thankfully it is only 5p a minute from a landline!) the machine now has to go back.

This very early on, means that I am going to be using the customer support of PCS far sooner than I would have wished for. This will also help determine if my choice of PCS was the correct one over other computer manufacturers.

One aspect that I would appreciate verifying is the following:

I delivered the case to them personally at 11:00 hours in the morning. The computer had been build by the end of that day. The next day it had gone in for testing – passed. It then went into QC that same day and was released that day to be dispatched the following morning. However, I was fortunately in a position to be able to personally pick it up. I therefore know that the handling of that machine was that of a new born baby - no courier problems this time!

For a machine to be built, tested and QC’d and readied for despatch in only some 14 to 16 working hours appears a bit fast for me. The question I ask and maybe someone from PCS would care to respond, is this enough time to soak test some fairly complex electronic components?​

In a previous bespoke build I had done some time ago with Carrera Computers (that is another story! They have also gone 'bust') allegedly the machine spent 5 days being soak tested.

I do not wish to come to the wrong conclusion, but could I be suffering as a result of a build spending insufficient time being tested?

At least I will now ‘test drive’ their support system.

Arrangements as left on Friday, is for me to ring them first thing on Tuesday (why do these things ALWAYS occur over a Bank holiday?) to find out if I were to deliver the machine there, that they could look and hopefully repair it there and then, with me able to come back with a ‘working’ machine. Under the circumstances, I thought that they would have contacted me first thing on Tuesday morning to tell me what their solution would be. Alternative to me taking it back, I have been told that if that is not possible they will arranged for SAME DAY collection and for it to then go into their system – probably away for about a week.

I will keep hoping that I’ll be able to include photographs of a ‘working’ machine shortly as I originally intended.

Will keep you posted of my experiences and PCS Support Test Drive.

Ian

Maestro

Hello MRCC,

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I assure you that the support you will recieve will be first class. In the meantime, as its a bank holiday and nothing can happen until Tuesday, you might want to quickly check a few things. Firstly, and I am not sure if you will have already been asked to do this, but remove the RAM modules and re-seat. If a module is incorrectly fitted this can cause boot failure. Same with the GPU. Also, on occasion especially if you have a large heavy cpu cooler, the processor may have come away very slightly from the socket. Lay your pc down, motherboard to the floor, or remove the fan and processor and reseat if you feel confident doing so. These are only suggestions, arising from similar problems experienced in the past. Your warranty will not be voided in any way by doing this, but it may, just may find the solution.

MRCC

Hello MRCC,

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having. I assure you that the support you will recieve will be first class. In the meantime, as its a bank holiday and nothing can happen until Tuesday, you might want to quickly check a few things. Firstly, and I am not sure if you will have already been asked to do this, but remove the RAM modules and re-seat. If a module is incorrectly fitted this can cause boot failure. Same with the GPU. Also, on occasion especially if you have a large heavy cpu cooler, the processor may have come away very slightly from the socket. Lay your pc down, motherboard to the floor, or remove the fan and processor and reseat if you feel confident doing so. These are only suggestions, arising from similar problems experienced in the past. Your warranty will not be voided in any way by doing this, but it may, just may find the solution.

Thanks for that Maestro.
They have all been tried as well the CMOS battery on the motherboard, removed and then replaced.
Will just have to wait and see . . . . . . .
Thanks for your input anyway.

Ian

LDUK

Master Poster
You would have been fine if you didn't post on the forums lol. Ask anyone, we're cursed!

steveuk87

Super Star
yup as soon as you post on here PCS strike you down with forum hocus pocus! yuor forever forced to dredge through old posts hoping to find solutions to seemingly endless problems!!!... nah only joking :p haha hope its sorted soon mate

Steve

For a machine to be built, tested and QC’d and readied for despatch in only some 14 to 16 working hours appears a bit fast for me. The question I ask and maybe someone from PCS would care to respond, is this enough time to soak test some fairly complex electronic components?

Hmm, the website claims 24-48 hours which would make you think that 24 hours would be the minimum soak test time.

However I wonder if in this instance the populated motherboard was already soak tested in a vanilla case and then simply transferred to your own case and given further time to test.

Obviously I can only speculate, and I'd also be interested in a little more info on soak test times.