Display problem

Jeff B

Morning all, bought a computer a couple of months ago ready for my Nephews Christmas present, the graphics card is a 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 970 - 1 DVI, 1 mHDMI, 3 mDP - 3D Vision Ready, and we ave bought a BenQ BL2410PT monitor for him, i bought one of these cables for him. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002XVYZ82?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00.

he has set it up today, and on the monitor it say's no cable connected, any ideas.

thanks

Bit of an update, they have a black screen now, and in the bottom hand corner, it say's this copy of windows is not genuine.

confused

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Are you connecting the monitor to the gpu and not motherboard? You may also want to check , if you haven't yet , that the monitor is set at the correct source/output

Jeff B

Are you connecting the monitor to the gpu and not motherboard? You may also want to check , if you haven't yet , that the monitor is set at the correct source/output

Thanks for the reply, as far as i am aware, they are connecting it through the graphics card display port cable i presume, i am going to their house later on, hopefully i can see what the problem is, as for the monitor again i will check that, i presumed the monitor would have automatically chosen the right source, but then again, i expect i would be wrong.

Thanks again for your reply, i shall report back later on.

Thanks very much.

Jeff B

Evening all bit of an update, unfortunately it seems to be faulty, i have tried numerous different leads, i even tried it on his old monitor, but to no joy, still a black screen, with "This copy of windows not genuine" in the corner.

So i decided to reinstall windows, i got to the installation screen, then it prompted to choose a drive/partiton, clicked on one, and it said windows cannot be installed to this drive, tried everything, still no joy. Eventually tried a windows repair, again no joy, took disc out, and now some text comes up asking me to take out the disk " which is already out" Booted back up into windows repair, and then it say's this copy is not supported ? or something allong those lines.

I must say my nephew and myself are a bit gutted, but i suppose these things happen, hopefully one of you kind folk may have some suggestions, but i shall be giving customer support a ring on Saturday, hopefully they can either get it working which i hope, bit if not looks like i shall be sending it back.

Thanks all.

Jeff B

This is the problem i am getting when i try a fresh install, this pic is taken from google

Windows boot.jpg

Thanks

Jeff B

That's because you're trying to install with Secure Boot enabled in the bios, so it want's to do a UEFI boot. Long answer short, go into the bios and disable secure boot, then try installing.

Thanks i shall try that tomorrow, as the computer is down my nephew's house, i honestly dont know much about Pc's i can install software, and i thought i could install OS which i have done in the past. but never encountered this before.

Thanks again, and fingers crossed.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks i shall try that tomorrow, as the computer is down my nephew's house, i honestly dont know much about Pc's i can install software, and i thought i could install OS which i have done in the past. but never encountered this before.

Thanks again, and fingers crossed.

Yeah, this UEFI thing is fairly new to me too, I tend to turn it off as it seems overly complicated for little reward.

Happy Chrimble to ya :yes:

Jeff B

Yeah, this UEFI thing is fairly new to me too, I tend to turn it off as it seems overly complicated for little reward.

Happy Chrimble to ya :yes:

Thanks very much again, hopefully i can get it working this afternoon.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday's. :santa:

Jeff B

Sorry folks, one last question, if i do manage to get it to install windows 7 OS, do i then install the motherboard disc, and then the Video card disc, in that order. they are the discs that came with the machine.

Thanks again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry folks, one last question, if i do manage to get it to install windows 7 OS, do i then install the motherboard disc, and then the Video card disc, in that order. they are the discs that came with the machine.

Thanks again.

Motherboard first yes, but for graphics drivers go to www.Nvidia.com and download from there.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Much thanks once again, as you may be able to tell, complete novice at this, so all the help you kind folks give is very much appreciated.

No problems at all, it's a little bit of a learning curve with a custom build, but you'll pick it up quickly and it's so worth it for what you get.

If you need any help, just ask.

Jeff B

No problems at all, it's a little bit of a learning curve with a custom build, but you'll pick it up quickly and it's so worth it for what you get.

If you need any help, just ask.

Yes it is rather daunting, hopefully everything will go smoothly, and i will take you up on the offer for help, if i run into it.

Thanks

Jeff B

Quick update, i couldn't find those settings to disable secure boot, but found some other settings under the windows 8 tab, which looked the same.

So all is fine, i hope, everything is installed and updated, downloaded all his steam games,Pc connected to the monitor no problem. He has taken it home now, and he is very happy.

Thanks for all your help, you have made a little boy very happy, and you have also taught me a thing or two about computers, only thing left to do is connect another monitor for him, but that can wait for now.

Thanks all, enjoy the rest of the holiday's.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Quick update, i couldn't find those settings to disable secure boot, but found some other settings under the windows 8 tab, which looked the same.

So all is fine, i hope, everything is installed and updated, downloaded all his steam games,Pc connected to the monitor no problem. He has taken it home now, and he is very happy.

Thanks for all your help, you have made a little boy very happy, and you have also taught me a thing or two about computers, only thing left to do is connect another monitor for him, but that can wait for now.

Thanks all, enjoy the rest of the holiday's.

Well done! Really pleased it's sorted for him. Connecting a second monitor is pretty straightforward these days, the nvidia driver will take care of it for you.

Jeff B

Well done! Really pleased it's sorted for him. Connecting a second monitor is pretty straightforward these days, the nvidia driver will take care of it for you.

Thanks, really happy that i managed to get it working, but i think that is as far as i am willing to go. As for the second monitor he set it up his self.

Really tempted to buy a gaming pc for myself now. :)

Thanks very much for your help, i really cannot thank you enough.