[DIY] dbrand Damascus x PCS Ionico 15

Should PCS partner up with dbrand for more skins?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi everyone, just to share this little DIY project. So I wanted new skins from dbrand for my new PCS gaming laptop, I emailed them but they won't make one for PCS. As a result, I ordered a 17' laptop skins from them and DIY it for my PCS Ionico.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not to be odd sounding, but DBrand are Canadian based, it would make zero sense to partner with them since PCS don’t sell outside Europe. You’d pay more in shipping than you would for the skin, just doesn’t make any sense at all.

Not to be odd sounding, but DBrand are Canadian based, it would make zero sense to partner with them since PCS don’t sell outside Europe. You’d pay more in shipping than you would for the skin, just doesn’t make any sense at all.
I would disagree with your view there completely. It doesn't matter where the company is based, everything is commercially negotiable nowadays. As you probably know PSC sources its parts from all around the world, mostly outside the EU. You are thinking from a B2C perspective and of course, it wouldn't make sense that way. but from a B2B's point of view, it is commercially possible and makes a lot of commercial sense.

Have a look at this website:

Eluktronics

They do pretty much what PCS does, but partnered up with dbrand just to make the skins for that particular model and available only on their website, not from dbrand. That's what they suggested to me when I wrote to dbrand.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would disagree with your view there completely. It doesn't matter where the company is based, everything is commercially negotiable nowadays. As you probably know PSC sources its parts from all around the world, mostly outside the EU. You are thinking from a B2C perspective and of course, it wouldn't make sense that way. but from a B2B's point of view, it is commercially possible and makes a lot of commercial sense.

Have a look at this website:

Eluktronics

They do pretty much what PCS does, but partnered up with dbrand just to make the skins for that particular model and available only on their website, not from dbrand. That's what they suggested to me when I wrote to dbrand.
No, this is your misunderstanding of what a system integrator is.

There are only a couple of custom laptop chassis manufacturers in the world, namely TongFang, Clevo etc.

Elektronics are an American system integrator who sell to Central and Northern America. As with any SI around the world, they buy in the same chassis as everyone else does. As with all computer parts, these are made in china. Elecktronics are in DBrands sales market of Central and Northern America

When you're factoring shipping costs of $50 on an $800 dollar part such as the chassis, it's a lot less than factoring in $50 on a $10 part. The latter makes no sense whatsoever either commercially or to the customer. That's why you get similar businesses opening up in those locales to offer the same service. Sure they could do it, but it would make the product overly expensive when you had just as good competitors locally offering the same product but with far reduced shipping costs. You can adjust product pricing, but you can't adjust shipping or customs pricing. Remember these would need to pay extra VAT on them on entering the UK even on a B2B basis.

DBrand will not have heard of PCS because PCS doesn't exist to them as it's not their market. Every company has a sales region that they're targeting, the cheaper the product, the more local that region will be.

I'm guessing the reason you went straight for DBrand is likely due to Linus Tech Tips videos? Note they are Canadian, hence why they advertise so heavily for them.

European and UK customers have many options for the same service based locally where you don't have to pay exorbitant surcharges.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That's not a bad price, a skin for my drone wasn't a lot cheaper than that

There are only a couple of custom laptop chassis manufacturers in the world, namely TongFang, Clevo etc.

Elektronics are an American system integrator who sell to Central and Northern America. As with any SI around the world, they buy in the same chassis as everyone else does. As with all computer parts, these are made in china. Elecktronics are in DBrands sales market of Central and Northern America

When you're factoring shipping costs of $50 on an $800 dollar part such as the chassis, it's a lot less than factoring in $50 on a $10 part. The latter makes no sense whatsoever either commercially or to the customer. That's why you get similar businesses opening up in those locales to offer the same service. Sure they could do it, but it would make the product overly expensive when you had just as good competitors locally offering the same product but with far reduced shipping costs. You can adjust product pricing, but you can't adjust shipping or customs pricing. Remember these would need to pay extra VAT on them on entering the UK even on a B2B basis.

DBrand will not have heard of PCS because PCS doesn't exist to them as it's not their market. Every company has a sales region that they're targeting, the cheaper the product, the more local that region will be.

I'm guessing the reason you went straight for DBrand is likely due to Linus Tech Tips videos? Note they are Canadian, hence why they advertise so heavily for them.

European and UK customers have many options for the same service based locally where you don't have to pay exorbitant surcharges.

It was Dave2D, the idea came from this video:

See, the custom laptop chassis used in this video in which dbrand made the skins for was the exact same for the PCS ones, that's the reason why I went straight to dbrand as they would have the cut and measurement for it.

I do find it hard to believe that, for customers who are willing to pay thousands for a custom-built computer can't afford 50 for skins.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As skins go, DBrand have cornered the marked in northern and central USA and have done extremely well. The hope is they open a factory over here, then it would be viable.

Skinning also just isn't as popular over here as it is out there, although I think that's changing slowly with more and more kids having chromebooks for school.

It’s not that they can’t afford it, it’s why would they pay that when they can get the exact same product for £10
I will tell you this, I actually have a screen protector/skins cutter myself, what dbrand made is not something you can easily get from any manufacturers. Believe it or not, I pay about 50 for this - I ordered a 17" for the Razer laptop, I use the extra parts to cut for my PS5 controller and my Xiaomi phone, where dbrand doesn't make for either.

In a way,
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-26 at 15.11.17.jpeg
I think what I did actually saved me a lot of money.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I will tell you this, I actually have a screen protector/skins cutter myself, what dbrand made is not something you can easily get from any manufacturers. Believe it or not, I pay about 50 for this - I ordered a 17" for the Razer laptop, I use the extra parts to cut for my PS5 controller and my Xiaomi phone, where dbrand doesn't make for either.

In a way,View attachment 28193 I think what I did actually saved me a lot of money.
But what I’m saying is you can get exactly the same product from the UK or European companies that do the same thing for about £10

You can buy it for less for just a piece of a rectangular sticker with whatever patterns that's available, for a precise cut tailored for your laptop, with a design that's so unique, you won't get it for any less than 50.

You can buy any t-shirts from Primark for just a few pounds, or a branded one for much more - it's all about the demand.

Many won't and will never understand why to spend more than a few hundred on a computer - but you would.

It's the same principle.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You can buy it for less for just a piece of a rectangular sticker with whatever patterns that's available, for a precise cut tailored for your laptop, with a design that's so unique, you won't get it for any less than 50.

You can buy any t-shirts from Primark for just a few pounds, or a branded one for much more - it's all about the demand.

Many won't and will never understand why to spend more than a few hundred on a computer - but you would.

It's the same principle.
Did you not look at the links we posted? They're skins, same as DBrand, just a UK based company. Literally cut to size, for around £10 - £15. Skins are not a DBrand product, it's a standard thing around the world, there are lots of companies that do them.

It's just that there isn't the same market for them over here, they are just not as popular. Plus custom chassis are a minority thing, most people will buy off the shelf branded products. Again, it's a very different market for that in the USA.

Just different markets.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

You've kind of said one thing and done the opposite, you bought the non branded cheaper laptop and then spent 5 times what you needed to on a skin for it from across the pond when you could have just bought one for £15 from the UK supplier :)

You've kind of said one thing and done the opposite, you bought the non branded cheaper laptop and then spent 5 times what you needed to on a skin for it from across the pond when you could have just bought one for £15 from the UK supplier :)
I wouldn't call a 3k custom laptop cheap, but again, what do I know.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

It's the same principle.
The link that @SpyderTracks posted earlier, you supplied your measurements and your own artwork (say a photo you've taken), and they produce your skin for you, a unique one of its own for £14.95

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Is this like the 'olden days' when kids used to put spare wallpaper on their text books to protect them a little?

My text books always looked as bad as some of these skins :ROFLMAO:

I've got some Apple stickers that are going free if anyone wants them ;)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I wouldn't call a 3k custom laptop cheap, but again, what do I know.
Custom laptops are very cheap compared to branded, talking £500 or so cheaper than a branded equivalent.
Custom laptops are also very niche compared to branded as they take more maintenance and you need to have a lot more tech knowledge as a result.

The link that @SpyderTracks posted earlier, you supplied your measurements and your own artwork (say a photo you've taken), and they produce your skin for you, a unique one of its own for £14
Not Going to spend all day here but they are not the same.

Is this like the 'olden days' when kids used to put spare wallpaper on their text books to protect them a little?

My text books always looked as bad as some of these skins :ROFLMAO:

I've got some Apple stickers that are going free if anyone wants them ;)
Very funny.

Custom laptops are very cheap compared to branded, talking £500 or so cheaper than a branded equivalent.
Custom laptops are also very niche compared to branded as they take more maintenance and you need to have a lot more tech knowledge as a result.
Very well.