Does carrying out repairs on our PC which is still under warranty void it?

halox

Enthusiast
The reason I am asking, is when I received my PC there were numerous faults which I repaired myself. Any replacement parts I fitted them myself too. This saved me the hassle of sending it back and waiting a week or so to get it returned. The practice of the user carrying out repairs is common for PCS which I do not mind but if we damage something accidentally does that void our warranty?

Leading on from this my friend had issues with his new PC and sent it back as he was not happy repairing it himself for his own reasons. He received it back today after 17 days repair turnaround. The SLI GPU temperature issue was resolved as was most of the other issues. The front USB connector was fixed but the front sata connector cable is still missing. Meaning it may have to go back again to get this fitted. When they fitted the USB cable they damaged the case. One of the lugs is now broken. PCS advised that they will fix this. They also want to send him the cable so he can fit it himself. This means he would route the cable from the top ports to the MB and past numerous components. Today however he received an email from PCS, stating that if any of the damage is due to his modifications of which there are none, this will void the warranty. How does this work as they asked him to fit the cable? What happens if he decided to do it but damages it at the same time?

It got me thinking, should I send my PC back every time something goes wrong? I have nothing in writing stating that if I damage something the warranty is still valid.

steaky360

Yeah if you damage the PC when carrying out a repair (even if PCS sent you the component to install) then it would void your warranty, at least that's how I understood it. I guess the exception to that would be if the component they sent you caused the damage (new PSU which fried something etc. etc.).

I usually work on the theory that, if I'm confident to do it myself, I know I won't damage anything. If I'm at all concerned, I'd send it back.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i'm fortunate that i've never had to send my actual case back to PCS HQ. I have had to return a few OCZ ssd's (3years ago lol) and a corsair PSU twice. - As i felt confident removing the PSU and installing another, i chose to do this at home. Im not sure what the stance would be if i bodged the repairs though.

halox

Enthusiast
Yeah if you damage the PC when carrying out a repair (even if PCS sent you the component to install) then it would void your warranty, at least that's how I understood it. I guess the exception to that would be if the component they sent you caused the damage (new PSU which fried something etc. etc.).

I usually work on the theory that, if I'm confident to do it myself, I know I won't damage anything. If I'm at all concerned, I'd send it back.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Surely then that should be made clear when they ask you to replace a component. When I think about it, over they years I have replaced a Motherboard, an SSD, and a fan myself when I could have and probably should have sent it back. At least for the motherboard.

The cable that they have asked my friend to fit probably sounds easy but when you consider the route it takes and the fact PCS damaged the case fitting the USB cable for the front ports, it makes sense to send it back.

steaky360

Personally I thought it was clear, I know its not quite the same thing, but PCS do point out in more detail about adding your own components on their Ts and Cs page and I suspect (although can't confirm at the moment) that the welcome pack contains more information on what you can do to your PC without voiding the warranty. In both it does make it clear that if you're doing something and your actions damage the PC then it wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

Last edited:

halox

Enthusiast
Personally I thought it was clear, I know its not quite the same thing, but PCS do point out in more detail about adding your own components on their Ts and Cs page and I suspect (although can't confirm at the moment) that the welcome pack contains more information on what you can do to your PC without voiding the warranty. In both it does make it clear that if you're doing something and your actions damage the PC then it wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

That's all good and well, but why ask people to fix their own PC's then? There is always the risk they could damage it.

steaky360

That's all good and well, but why ask people to fix their own PC's then? There is always the risk they could damage it.
I'd say they will look at it as offering the option to fit the replacement component etc. yourself rather than forcing everyone to send their rigs back for potentially trivial repairs that are simple to do for anyone confident inside a PC.

halox

Enthusiast
I'd say they will look at it as offering the option to fit the replacement component etc. yourself rather than forcing everyone to send their rigs back for potentially trivial repairs that are simple to do for anyone confident inside a PC.

Yeah, quite possibly.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

+1

I see this a PCS "going the extra mile" most other manufacturers will void their warranty if you even think about opening the case. A large percentage of PCS's customers are technically competent so it makes sense to let them make relatively simple hardware changes (of course, if you break something that's your fault). Those customers who don't feel able to mess with the innards can always send it back.

halox

Enthusiast
+1

I see this a PCS "going the extra mile" most other manufacturers will void their warranty if you even think about opening the case. A large percentage of PCS's customers are technically competent so it makes sense to let them make relatively simple hardware changes (of course, if you break something that's your fault). Those customers who don't feel able to mess with the innards can always send it back.

Surely this then opens up a can of worms. If you open the case to say, replace the cable that PCS forgot to fit. Then 2 days later the GPU fails. The cable passed the GPU so PCS could turn around and blame you. There is nothing you could do about it, even if it had nothing to do with you.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Surely this then opens up a can of worms. If you open the case to say, replace the cable that PCS forgot to fit. Then 2 days later the GPU fails. The cable passed the GPU so PCS could turn around and blame you. There is nothing you could do about it, even if it had nothing to do with you.

That's a big if and I doubt pcs will be unreasonable in that situation.

I am happy with having the choice.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

I don't see a can of worms here at all. PCS are giving you a choice; if you're confident that you can add/remove/modify the hardware without causing damage then they will allow that, I see that as a huge bonus. Of course, if you have any doubts about your ability you should elect to send it back.

I welcome the ability to choose, but my choice comes with responsibilities. If I choose to mess with the hardware and break it then that's quite clearly my fault and I accept that risk when I open up the case. No worms there at all. No can in fact. :)