Does liquid need topping up ?

Gomjaba

Bronze Level Poster
I do wonder - is it like a car where despite it being a closed system, you still need to top it up ?

My system is a year old and I can see the level is about 0.4 of an inch lower:

fsfsdfdsfsd.jpg

There isn't a leak or something that I can see so just wondering if that is expected / normal.

Thanks.

badsector

My vertical reservoir has a 1/4" port on the top, currently blanked off. I also have a funnel which terminates in 1/4" thread. To top up I unscrew the blanking cap and screw in the funnel. Carefully pour the water cooling fluid into the funnel to top up.

I have had my water cooled self build for 6 years and I have topped up every couple of years. The reason for posting is that I was getting high temps the other day (I always run the ASUS GFX card temperature monitor) and all of a sudden something went wrong and the pump stopped. On checking the level of liquid in the reservoir it was very low, just below the spout. I switched off, topped up, and re-booted. The PC then ran happily once more and I noted when playing WoT the GFX temperature was much lower than usual.

So yes, check and fill once a year. The special funnel will help avoid spills. The water cooling liquid can be bought from many sources in the UK.

Gomjaba

Bronze Level Poster
which if you get PCS to do it for you is about £150

Yea - plus they said due to my 3 year warranty, I HAVE TO let them do it otherwise it voids warranty. Given it needs a pallet for shipping and the current delay - I probably wait :)

My vertical reservoir has a 1/4" port on the top, currently blanked off. I also have a funnel which terminates in 1/4" thread. To top up I unscrew the blanking cap and screw in the funnel. Carefully pour the water cooling fluid into the funnel to top up.

I have had my water cooled self build for 6 years and I have topped up every couple of years. The reason for posting is that I was getting high temps the other day (I always run the ASUS GFX card temperature monitor) and all of a sudden something went wrong and the pump stopped. On checking the level of liquid in the reservoir it was very low, just below the spout. I switched off, topped up, and re-booted. The PC then ran happily once more and I noted when playing WoT the GFX temperature was much lower than usual.

So yes, check and fill once a year. The special funnel will help avoid spills. The water cooling liquid can be bought from many sources in the UK.

Yea I keep an eye on temps but my CPU runs pretty cool - so I am sure it is ok for now

SNAG-0725.png

Granted it isn't under load but it barely ever (even with running 12 VMs) hits more than 54C ...

And thanks guys for the reassurance ...