Does PCS provide bios updates or other software updates to fix issues arising?

AVG96

I found posts here regarding Vyper 17.3 issues that are fixable with bios updates, but not yet being fixed. In the Max-17 case from eluktronics with the same chassis they are providing bios updates to fix it i found online. Does PCS do the same thing or the issues are things to consider staying as i am thinking to buy the specific laptop.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I found posts here regarding Vyper 17.3 issues that are fixable with bios updates, but not yet being fixed. In the Max-17 case from eluktronics with the same chassis they are providing bios updates to fix it i found online. Does PCS do the same thing or the issues are things to consider staying as i am thinking to buy the specific laptop.
The chassis vendor (Tong Fang) releases BIOS updates to the resellers (which PCS or Elektronics are)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Give PCS a call and see what they say. You'll need their agreement to a BIOS update in any case (if you want to keep your warranty).

Via Tapatalk

Charlas

Enthusiast
Give PCS a call and see what they say. You'll need their agreement to a BIOS update in any case (if you want to keep your warranty).

Via Tapatalk

Meant to ask that actually, why do you have to go through PCS for BIOS updates? Seems a very mundane thing to get them involved in? (not trying to diss the idea, genuinely curious)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Meant to ask that actually, why do you have to go through PCS for BIOS updates? Seems a very mundane thing to get them involved in? (not trying to diss the idea, genuinely curious)
I don't work for PCS of course but this issue has cropped up before. I assume that PCS want to at least know because it is still possible to screw up badly with BIOS updates, especially if the wrong update is installed, and that might impact any work PCS have to do under warranty.

I've found PCS to be immensely helpful with BIOS updates, generally if I see one is available for my PCS builds I'll ask whether there is anything in the new BIOS that's either beneficial or important to me and whether or not they advise updating it.

Charlas

Enthusiast
I don't work for PCS of course but this issue has cropped up before. I assume that PCS want to at least know because it is still possible to screw up badly with BIOS updates, especially if the wrong update is installed, and that might impact any work PCS have to do under warranty.

I've found PCS to be immensely helpful with BIOS updates, generally if I see one is available for my PCS builds I'll ask whether there is anything in the new BIOS that's either beneficial or important to me and whether or not they advise updating it.
Fair enough, just was genuinely curious, just because what I do I have to make sure I've got the latest microcode for proc and the likes, and was wondering if it would effect it was all. Cheers chap

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Fair enough, just was genuinely curious, just because what I do I have to make sure I've got the latest microcode for proc and the likes, and was wondering if it would effect it was all. Cheers chap
I think it’s that a lot of people buying custom PCs are not tech minded and they’ve had situations in the past where people have managed to brick them by flashing incorrect BIOSes and powering off at the wrong times or something like that, so now it’s a blanket rule to save the few bricks that happened.

Seb T

I'm not the most tech savvy when it comes to this sort of things, would anyone be able to give a quick explanation as to what the BIOs update would even change and how would you know if/when there's an update available?

I assume if/when I'll need to update it I can do it with someone from PCS over the phone?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm not the most tech savvy when it comes to this sort of things, would anyone be able to give a quick explanation as to what the BIOs update would even change and how would you know if/when there's an update available?

I assume if/when I'll need to update it I can do it with someone from PCS over the phone?
Yes, any BIOS update weather on a laptop or computer needs to be done with PCS guidance to keep your warranty valid. They would supply the update file and guide you on applying it.

A BIOS update is only required if you're facing issues. If @AVG96 states the issues they're facing then you can see if that applies to you also.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you're still in warranty and you believe that a BIOS update may fix a problem you have then always give PCS a call. They will be able to tell you whether a BIOS update is available for your specific build and whether it will fix the issue you're having. If they advise updating the BIOS and you're not sure how to do that then they will provide guidance. If anything then goes wrong with the updating process (and it still can) then you'll be covered by your warranty and PCS will fix it for you.

If you update your BIOS without contacting PCS first and you later have a problem that can be traced to that BIOS update (whether it went on cleanly or not) you may void your warranty. See item 7.9 in the Terms and Conditions:

We reserve the right to suspend the warranty or refuse service if your Case, Motherboard, CPU or BIOS have been replaced without authorisation.
Any tampering, repair or modification by unauthorised personnel voids the warranty.

Even if your build is out of warranty it is still always worth contacting PCS before updating your BIOS (I do and have found them to be most helpful). Don't forget that every PCS customer gets lifetime technical support - so use it. :)

KeithC

The chassis vendor (Tong Fang) releases BIOS updates to the resellers (which PCS or Elektronics are)
When I lived in Singapore some fifty plus years ago I was greatly amused by a sign for Tong Fang Dentist. Cross-linguistic nominative determinism?