Don't be fooled by the RTX4060 "pre embargo" reviews

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There have been a few pre embargo "reviews" of the RTX4060.

Don't be fooled by them, it's hugely "defined" testing, the reviewers were only allowed to test CyberPunk under certain conditions, which didn't include normal rasterisation.

It's a completely nonsense test that doesn't show any useful data, and it's highly targetted more than likely at the very best case scenario for the card.

NVidia just want you to pre order before the 3rd party reviews are out.

The test HAD to be done with Frame Generation and DLSS enabled. And even then it didn't perform that much better than the 3060. The expectation is that under normal gaming settings, performance is going to be UNDER the 3060, plus it doesn't have enough VRAM to power a lot of modern titles anyway. Plus it has half the memory bandwidth of the 3060.

Reviewers like Jayz2Cents should have rejected the opportunity as it's very anti consumer, it's shameless marketing advertising for nVidia.

nVidia have only done this because of how extremely badly the 4060ti has done. The 60 tier is the mainstream seller, if they lose their share of this segment, they'll be in trouble.

Last edited:

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Wow I know Nvidia are scummy shady reprobates at the best of times but this is seeming like new lows

No reputable reviewer should ever agree to anything like this, allowing yourself and your brand to be used to sell people something that's purposely misleading

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wow I know Nvidia are scummy shady reprobates at the best of times but this is seeming like new lows

No reputable reviewer should ever agree to anything like this, allowing yourself and your brand to be used to sell people something that's purposely misleading
100%. I was really surprised Jay accepted the terms. I dint know who else has agreed to it.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
100%. I was really surprised Jay accepted the terms. I dint know who else has agreed to it.
Of all the reviewers about I've never liked Jay, he seems to be the one who steps in it the most often. Always feels like pushing the edge to see what he can get away with and when the inevitable backlash comes you get some half assed apology or excuse

Jay got paid that why he accepted and it isn't the first time

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Jay got paid that why he accepted and it isn't the first time
He will have been paid handsomely as well direct from nVidia, I have no doubt.

I'm just going to drop this here, this is Coreteks opinion on it, he often throws out some lofty ideas, years ahead of any eventuality and he's often wrong, but he has links deep in the production world and I always find his opinions interesting weather I agree with them or not

It does appear to be more and more that the Intel cards appear to be the best value proposition at the mid and low end of the market.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And Linus dropping the sarcasm after the 4060ti review

So okay, it outperforms the 3060 but not by much, but when you factor in the VRAM buffer shortage, that’s not going to be the case moving forwards. You’ll have to massively lower textures to get a lot of modern games to run at all, making them look poor, you can’t enable Ray Tracing as it hasn’t got the horsepower, the only thing going for it is frame generation, but you’d still have to take the hit on texture quality.

Do NOT buy the 4060 or 4060ti. They’re woefully awful cards when nvidia can put out the 4090 and 4080 in the same generation.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
As we've been pointing out (even vs the 4070)...looks like HardwareUnboxed is on the Nvidia hate-train too...

TLDR...for the same price as the 16GB 4060Ti, the last gen 16GB 6800XT is better VFM, except in a couple of examples where Nvidia RT support won out and where PSU is a limiting factor (as the 6800XT uses about 50% more power than the 4060Ti).

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
As we've been pointing out (even vs the 4070)...looks like HardwareUnboxed is on the Nvidia hate-train too...

TLDR...for the same price as the 16GB 4060Ti, the last gen 16GB 6800XT is better VFM, except in a couple of examples where Nvidia RT support won out and where PSU is a limiting factor (as the 6800XT uses about 50% more power than the 4060Ti).

Those raytracing numbers are damning for Nvidia to be honest. A 2020 card smashing Nvidia at what it does o_O

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

those numbers with cyberpunk giving 6800xt a big lead over 4060

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The only scenario where I’d even consider the 4060Ti would be a SFF build where space/cooling could be an issue, as most 4060Ti are small, cheap-looking, twin-fan models.

davhun

Gold Level Poster
I have been configuring a couple of laptops. Have I been wasting my time?

I see ALL the laptops have Nvidia Geforce RTX graphics except for some Intel integrated graphics. Are you saying that all PCS laptops are rubbish?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

I see ALL the laptops have Nvidia Geforce RTX graphics except for some Intel integrated graphics. Are you saying that all PCS laptops are rubbish?

Not sure how you would get to that conclusion from what's been said?

I don't think anything would be classed as rubbish, it's all about value and £ to performance. If you're willing to pay x money to get y performance then it's all good.

davhun

Gold Level Poster
Not sure how you would get to that conclusion from what's been said?

I don't think anything would be classed as rubbish, it's all about value and £ to performance. If you're willing to pay x money to get y performance then it's all good.
Hopefully I will come out with my reasons for my choice but from the reviews, I see that almost all are very pleased with their choice. Most have also chosen the 4060/ 4070 graphics.
I don't know if any are out and out gamers, like me probably not. If they are I would suggest they move to a desktop.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Everything is subjective though. You need to experience everything to make a complete choice by comparison. Being happy with a choice you have made is fairly natural and, issues aside, I don't think you'll ever see a review on here stating that their chosen system wasn't quite up to what they were expecting. It's just not how these things work.

If someone bought a laptop, but they were sent 3 competing laptops of similar cost but varying performance..... would their opinion of their own choices still remain the same? I don't think it would, especially if actual tangible metrics were used to discern the differences. Thankfully, we have experienced members on the forum with a wealth of understanding in these areas as well as multiple reviewers and organisations doing nothing but engagement with viewers on youtube. What a time to be alive.

Objective reasoning comes from understanding the differences between the options. Understanding the limitations and the comparable performance to competing components based on cost/value.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and ignorance will forever be bliss :)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

The BIG difference is laptop CPU & GPU are power-limited, so if (using the desktop 6800XT and 4060Ti here as the exemplars) you were to limit them both to the same c.100w limit, then their performance may be similar.

…and I think we all understand laptop GPUs - even if confusingly using the same name - are clearly not identical to their desktop cousins.

davhun

Gold Level Poster
Everything is subjective though. You need to experience everything to make a complete choice by comparison. Being happy with a choice you have made is fairly natural and, issues aside, I don't think you'll ever see a review on here stating that their chosen system wasn't quite up to what they were expecting. It's just not how these things work.

If someone bought a laptop, but they were sent 3 competing laptops of similar cost but varying performance..... would their opinion of their own choices still remain the same? I don't think it would, especially if actual tangible metrics were used to discern the differences. Thankfully, we have experienced members on the forum with a wealth of understanding in these areas as well as multiple reviewers and organisations doing nothing but engagement with viewers on youtube. What a time to be alive.

Objective reasoning comes from understanding the differences between the options. Understanding the limitations and the comparable performance to competing components based on cost/value.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and ignorance will forever be bliss :)
You are right in what you say Scott. I only have knowledge about the laptop I have and information gleaned from the forum. I know nothing about the computers on sale. When I post a configuration I shall welcome any comments and then finally decide - but that's life.

davhun

Gold Level Poster
The BIG difference is laptop CPU & GPU are power-limited, so if (using the desktop 6800XT and 4060Ti here as the exemplars) you were to limit them both to the same c.100w limit, then their performance may be similar.

…and I think we all understand laptop GPUs - even if confusingly using the same name - are clearly not identical to their desktop cousins.
I know what you mean. Here is a list of high end cards.

Top of the bunch is the RTX 4090 with a passmark of 39097 but you need to get to 1/8 place to find the laptop version with passmark of 29495.

The external cooling is confusing with the Recoil. What amount of power limiting do you get if it is not fitted.