Doom Eternal

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Anyone bought this yet?

I stuck it on for the first time tonight, I had high expectations based on 2016, but my god, they've done one hell of a job, I just don't know how they do it???

I though 2016 was fast, but Eternal is even faster, yet the graphics are just utterly stunning! It's quite mesmerisingly good.

I played through the first 2 levels and had to stop to quite literally catch my breath!

Just amazing!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
Finished it and it gets very very repetitive in later levels. Add to that the parkour-type jumping levels that break the flow and I'd score it a 4 / 10 at best and I loved DooM 2016

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Finished it and it gets very very repetitive in later levels. Add to that the parkour-type jumping levels that break the flow and I'd score it a 4 / 10 at best and I loved DooM 2016
Aw, that’s a shame, how did you find the story?

steaky360

I really enjoyed it myself. I agree with Tony that the parkour elements definitely change the game from D16, I certainly didn't enjoy them at first but by the end of the game I was loving being able to rapidly move around the battlefield. Its definitely different to D16 and its certainly not everyones cup of tea.

The story is a bit pants though, but to be fair, I didn't buy Doom for the narrative.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I really enjoyed it myself. I agree with Tony that the parkour elements definitely change the game from D16, I certainly didn't enjoy them at first but by the end of the game I was loving being able to rapidly move around the battlefield. Its definitely different to D16 and its certainly not everyones cup of tea.

The story is a bit pants though, but to be fair, I didn't buy Doom for the narrative.
The opening sequence although short, jazzed me right up, and then the way it drops you right in was awesome!

steaky360

Aye its pretty relentless throughout I found. It doesn't let up. I was concerned it was going to end up being 'too difficult' for me, but fortunately it all just clicked somewhere during the third or fourth mission and it got a lot easier.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
There are a couple of levels later in the game that are almost entirely jumping from one object to another, but it requires a daft key combo that requires double jumping and just the zoom/dodge/bump whatever it is called to be able to reach the next target. That target then gives you seconds to work out where to go next before it starts to fall.

I died a lot during these levels and it just becomes an exercise in frustration primarily not because it can't be done/the keys not mastered, but because you were often dead before you had even had a chance to work out where you needed to go next.

Rinse and repeat.

In later levels, it seems far too easy to get lost and just grind to a halt as it isn't always obvious where to go or what to do next.

The final demon is also just shoot off bits of armor. Done that? Good - now shoot the same places to shoot off the flesh...done that? You get the idea. There is a LOT of repetitiveness.

Then to add a bit more difficulty, you have to shoot a target en-route to it, or shoulder barge something out of the way.

It has some enjoyable differences - I liked being able to snipe the big gun off of say the arachnatron or the rocket launching arms off the mancubus.

There were some enjoyable parts - the bit per the adverts where you launch yourself in the cannon is fun. Some of the UAC holograms get quite pointed in their comments in later levels. The shoulder mounted grenade/flamethrower/icer is a nice addition and is indispensable in later levels.

As Streaky says, you don't buy DooM for the narrative but I'm not sure how well this new one fits with the older, simpler days of yore when you simply played a guy who'd been on a walk when the demons attacked. :)

If you play through the game and get all 14 floppy disk secrets, you can play DooM (the original one) from the computer in Doom Guy's bedroom.

Type in his name FLYNNTAGGART into the same computer in his room to unlock Doom II (also the original).

DooM 64 is a really good version as well - depending which version you bought you may have got it free with the game and if not, it was about £3.50 on Steam.

And visually, I have to say, it is stunning.