Double RAM

sted

Rising Star
I finally decided it was time to double up to 16GB, but unfortunately, PCS don't stock the RAM I chose with my build anymore. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the same RAM elsewhere and I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction to help me find some hopefully compatible RAM.

I currently have:
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 X 4GB)
Motherboard is Asus P8Z77-v

I'm not really asking to be pointed to a competitor or anything, just advice on how to try and ensure I find RAM that is compatible.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I finally decided it was time to double up to 16GB, but unfortunately, PCS don't stock the RAM I chose with my build anymore. I'm having a bit of trouble finding the same RAM elsewhere and I was hoping someone would be able to point me in the right direction to help me find some hopefully compatible RAM.

I currently have:
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 X 4GB)
Motherboard is Asus P8Z77-v

I'm not really asking to be pointed to a competitor or anything, just advice on how to try and ensure I find RAM that is compatible.

If you use CPU-Z and look up the memory dimm's it will show you the model number specific to that dimm. Then just google that.

steaky360

Your motherboard supports other types of memory not just the Samsung memory you've mentioned but I think the key point is that it needs to be Dual Channel DDR3 memory.

You'd be better off replacing the ram you have in the computer if you don't find exactly the same stuff (just for compatibilities sake).

4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2600(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

So I'd expect if you search for DDR3 memory you'd be able to find something suitable. Did you speak with PCS? They may also be able to point you in the right direction with alternatives to the 8Gb stick you currently have :)

sted

Rising Star
Your motherboard supports other types of memory not just the Samsung memory

Yeah, the reason why I was looking for the same is because of potential issues with mixing with other brands or types. I was intending to avoid buying all-new RAM, because I'm not sure I can afford replacement over addition, I was assuming two more more sticks of what I have would be cheaper. I've spoken with PCS, they advised me to try and match serial numbers.

Thanks both

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I recently upgraded my RAM on this mobo. While shopping around I saw quite a lot of 16gb 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance skits for ~£70-75 quid, but since then prices seem to have gone up closer to £100.

There does seem to be some Vulcan RED 2x8gb 2400MHz CL11 for under £70 at the moment though.

Spuff

Expert
I've been forced back to 8GB of RAM after having had 16GB going for some time. I haven't noticed any difference.
I'm not in any hurry to be able to use 16GB again. I'll be waiting until it's worth changing to a new generation of Intel CPU's.