Drawing software

Gorman

Author Level
So i got my wacom tablet thing.

Any ideas on the best drawing software i can get and learn, bearing in mind i cant drive PS or anything so its an even playing field.

steaky360

Paint not good enough? ;)

Face.jpg

Smurfette

Well, drawing software is an area where there is a wealth of good, free, open source applications available. MyPaint is very good - simple, clean interface with an awesome selection of brushes. It would be a good one to start with until you get the hang of your new tablet. Another option is Gimp Paint Studio.

There are also the expensive ones, such as Corel Painter and even Photoshop (albeit done with a different technique).

I would defo recommend MyPaint for starters. Here's some inspiration from YouTube to get you started :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAQv3eYgXzo.

mishra

Rising Star
dude, just get Photoshop and just learn it bit by bit. Tablet complements Photoshop very well... and if you can use Paint you can also use Photoshop. Using Gimp or similar software is just epic fail...

You may want to start here: http://www.tutorialized.com/

mishra

Rising Star
heh don't twist my words, that is not what I said :)

Photoshop Elements is not that pricey, it cost like 70quid or so, also you can try full CS5/6 version for a month or so. Alternatively there are plenty of older versions available to purchase second hand (not sure how legal that is) but you can get them quite cheap that way. I do agree Photoshop is extremely overpriced software... but then that is why it is miles better and easier to use than any other software out there.

Have you really worked on Gimp or you just installed it and run it once or twice? I tried to use it, both on Linux and Windows, and in both cases it was just epic fail... the simplest task proved to be super complicated. To be honest Pain.NET is better than Gimp, also a very good software is Artweaver which I believe is free too.

Besides, question was: "best drawing software I can get and learn" ... and believe it or not, there is just nothing better than Photoshop out there.. and if you plan to learn something just learn Photoshop as it will become useful in personal and professional life.

edit: ...ah and btw I am not against using Gimp, I do like it in a way ... well I only like the fact it is free but it's just not an easy software to use. Though, I did gave it a proper go before walking away from it. There is a fantastic knolwedge base on Gimp here: http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/ but in most cases it's like reading binary so be aware ^^

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Thanks for all the input guys, slowly learning how to drive PS and this wacom thing.

Heres a doodle of the mrs and her dogs.

44B7BD99-D31F-42B1-8663-D1C90AC0F8CA.JPG

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Why is the left one so grumpy...and what did the right one do to look so ashamed...

...and are these two things linked in some way :D

WE MUST KNOW!!!!

Good stuff G

Gorman

Author Level
Why is the left one so grumpy...and what did the right one do to look so ashamed...

...and are these two things linked in some way :D

WE MUST KNOW!!!!

Good stuff G

The one on the left is Frank, he is just a miserable git. The right is Dino, he's old, deaf and has seriously bad k9 dimentia, he doesnt know why hes ashamed.

kokabel

Bronze Level Poster
Photoshop is king, but if you want to try something free, OpenCanvas version 1.1 (all other versions cost) is great and a lot more straight forward that PS. It responds to tablets really well. It may occasionally switch the language on you though, but it's pretty obvious where to go to switch it back to English. :) Oh, and it has an option that allows you to open a drawing session with another person with OpenCanvas, so you can both doodle on the same file at the same time, which is ace.

PaintTool Sai has good reviews too, but isn't free - however a bunch cheaper than Photoshop, if I recall correctly. The free trial is pretty extensive.

In all honestly, you do not need to know all that much about PS to paint well on it. A lot of settings relate to stuff other than drawing and painting, so you generally don't need to worry about them too much.