Driver and Graphics card issues

Alias Pending

Hey all,

I purchased my laptop a year and half ago with and it has largely been functioning fine but there have been a few problems that I have been unable to fix, I don't think they are related but I'm not the most technically competent person so yeah.

1) I have been occasionally (about once a week) getting an error message on log-in stating "system needs to be restarted - Make sure all Driver installed" - this is commonly attributed to a problem with the hotkey drivers, I have downloaded the latest driver from Clevo (version 3.3044) but this morning the message occurred again. I don't think this is impacting my laptop but I've been wrong before....

2) I have had a lot of problems with my optimus tech and getting games to use the high performance graphics card, such as Napoleon Total War and the Witcher (both of which I did find fixes for online), and most recently Skyrim. I have tried whitelisting (both the launcher and the tevs.exe file) but Skyrim still only recognises the crappy integrated graphics card. I have tried using this method (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDMDL0lEG5E) to re-write the prefs file but i found that skyrim would just search again for drivers and once more only recognise the integrated card.

3) A couple of times my laptop has crashed due to overheating, it could well be dust but equally i remember when i was looking for the crash report i found there were problems with PowerBIOS-server or something, although i have subsequently forgotten how i found this data and it was a long time ago.( in hindsight this is a pretty vague and poorly informed point - sorry)

anyway specs:

intel core i5-2450m CPU @ 2.30ghz
64 bit and windows 7
Integrated card: Intel (R) HD graphics family
High performance: Nvidida geforce Gt555m

Any advice or suggestions would be hugely appreciated

Thanks,

Giles

kylhan

Silver Level Poster
I would do a clean uninstall of all your drivers and update if I was you. You shouldn't have trouble assigning games to run on your gt555m. Follow the as much as you can the steps mentioned in the sticky for the 7970m for doing a clean install of new drivers. It sounds to me like there has maybe been a bad driver update somewhere down the line which is causing you problems. Just a thought, good luck :)