Driver Issue

mickymicx

For the past 2 days I have had alerts warning me that my Windows 7 is faulty and I need to insert a 16 digit code to properly install, however I did not know where this code was to be found but when I looked in my box I had a Windows 7 cd which I inserted. The cd would restore Windows 7 I believed, it backed up my files and restarted my computer. When I got back onto my desktop it had basically restored everything to what I believed to be the factory settings and it still wanted me to enter the 16 digit code. Obviously I was annoyed but I thought I would just install my programs first to get things back to how they were when I noticed there was no internet connection despite being wired via ethernet cable. Upon further analysis I noticed this was because no drivers were being detected. I had another cd that came with my desktop about ASUS and used it to install all the drivers that were on it. I got internet connection back and thought everything would be fine. However, when I downloaded some of the game features I had previously, they would not run stating that my graphics driver most likely needed updating or drivers still needed fixing etc.

I basically messed up real hard and wished I had just ignored the alert but now I have problems. I can't run the programs I could before due to driver issues and I'm not sure what to do. My friend recommended restoring the computer but the only points of recovery start once I re-installed Windows 7. Can someone please help me?

ricbai

Bronze Level Poster
The 16 digital serial code should be printed on a sticker attached to the back of your tower or the bottom of your laptop.

Graphics drivers - if you have an Nvidia card, go to http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-uk (select "Option 2: Automatically find drivers for my NVIDIA products -> Graphics card" if you aren't sure which graphics card you have) - and if you have an ATI/AMD Radeon card go to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download .

If you let us know the full spec of your machine (from your original order) or your experience level, we may be able to walk you through the steps needed if you are still having problems. (BTW, if you had ignored the alert - which I'm presuming is the Microsoft Windows Product Activation one - you may have experienced Windows changing your background to black, no access to Windows Update, constant reminders to activate, screensaver replaced and possibly auto-logging out every hour et al).