Drivers missing after windows reinstall

Freeley

Hi all

Not been on here for a while as my pc has been running like a dream for a couple of years!
It's been slowing down of late though so i decided to do a clean reinstall of windows 7 home edition today.
It's up and running again now after HOURS of windows updates but my problem is that some drivers are missing, meaning amongst other things that the pc can't see my two optical drives.
The list below from device manager shows what isn't working, i suspect it's the drivers for my ASUS P8P67 PRO motherboard. I've got the driver disk that came with my pc but i can't use it due to my optical drives not working.
Luckily my Edimax wireless card has installed ok so i've got internet.

"OTHER DEVICES"

Ethernet controller
RAID Controller
SM Bus Controller
USB Controller (2x entries)
Unknown Device

I've looked on the ASUS website for drivers for my motherboard but there are loads of different ones so i daren't start randomly installing drivers in case i make things worse!
Can anybody help please? I've emailed PCS but suspect it could be a while bearing in mind the time of year.

My specs are:
COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard ASUS® P8P67 PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, CrossFireX™ / SLI SUPPORT
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX570 - 2 DVI,mHDMI - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready
2nd Graphics Card NONE
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Change to: 12x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE
Change to: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Change to: NONE
Power Supply CORSAIR 850W TX SERIES (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
if you log into your account you will have a list of drivers to download from the PCS site, I think they are the same that come on the disks but since you don't have a working optical drive you can try those.

Log into your account, look on the left hand size for the tech support section and click download. takles you right to your drivers. I have some for my optical drive so that should get you up and running.

Freeley

Have just tried installing the driver but it says "no matched driver detected" so i'm guessing it's definitely the motherboard drivers i need, they're not in the download section unfortunately.
Thanks for the tip though.

Freeley

No all I've got in my computer are my two hard drives and drive h which is a small reserved space of about 90mb which appeared after the reinstall, don't know what that is.
I've studied the Microsoft link at length today already, couldn't see anything there that helped sadly.

There's no sign of a cd/dvd section in my device manager either.
Just realised that my printer isn't working either, downloaded the correct epson driver this evening but it can't see the printer.

Last edited:

Freeley

As an aside my motherboard was affected by the faulty SATA 2 port issue when i bought my PC in early 2011, so both my optical drives are connected to the motherboard via a SATA port adapter supplied by PCS.
Both drives have worked flawlessly until i reinstalled windows so i don't think this could be an issue though.

Freeley

I suppose what I'm asking is if I install the wrong chipset or mobo drivers will I end up with an unusable pc that won't let me restore a disk image from before my reinstall?
It's just that if I do screw it up i'm not going to be able to boot from my windows cd to reinstall again.

halox

Enthusiast
When you did this clean install did you change anything in the Bios? Perhaps switching off Sata ports? If not, check anyway. Your CMOS battery could be knackered and if you unplugged it for any length of time the Bios settings will go to their defaults. Perhaps the default is certain Sata ports off.

If you install the wrong driver it wont matter as the driver will not do anything. Some of the wrong drivers will not install anyway.

Last edited:

Freeley

No i didn't change anything, just inserted the windows dvd and did a clean reinstall. I'll check in the bios anyway but probably wouldn't know what i was looking at!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
OK, I think I understand now. Because you are running a PCI sata card you will need the drivers for that first. The easiest fix is yo plug your DVD drive into the motherboard sata ports while you update drivers etc. I have the same issue with my board and know for a fact connecting to the dodgy ports is not going to do your DVD drive any harm if you connect it for a short time, the issue is mainly affecting HDDs

Your motherboard can't see the sata card so doesn't see the devices connected. Swap it into the motherboard port and it will work...

Hopefully, good luck :)

halox

Enthusiast
OK, I think I understand now. Because you are running a PCI sata card you will need the drivers for that first. The easiest fix is yo plug your DVD drive into the motherboard sata ports while you update drivers etc. I have the same issue with my board and know for a fact connecting to the dodgy ports is not going to do your DVD drive any harm if you connect it for a short time, the issue is mainly affecting HDDs

Your motherboard can't see the sata card so doesn't see the devices connected. Swap it into the motherboard port and it will work...

Its easy enough. Look for the list of sata ports. Then see if they enabled or disabled. On the motherboard you have them labeled in very small writing the corresponding port number. Ensure they are enabled. If you are still having problems and confirm this is ok. I can have a look for you later. just download and install teamviewer 8. I can then fix it from here.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Its easy enough. Look for the list of sata ports. Then see if they enabled or disabled. On the motherboard you have them labeled in very small writing the corresponding port number. Ensure they are enabled. If you are still having problems and confirm this is ok. I can have a look for you later. just download and install teamviewer 8. I can then fix it from here.

Will that work for SATA ports on a PCI adapter? I can see it working for ports on the mobo but not a PCI add in card?

You replied to my post but did you mean to reply to freely and his post about the BIOS?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Aberdeen here so couldn't be much further I don't think.

I watched your YouTube videos a while back, no mistaking your Scottish :)

Freeley

Ah ok will try that later when I get home.
Will this be a short term fix to get my optical drives working? ie will I then install mobo drivers and then plug optical drives back into the sata port adapter?

halox

Enthusiast
Will that work for SATA ports on a PCI adapter? I can see it working for ports on the mobo but not a PCI add in card?

You replied to my post but did you mean to reply to freely and his post about the BIOS?

I have been catching parts of this topic and have only now just read the full thing. No, the Sata ports that are enabled / disabled are only on the MB. You will need to install the driver for the Sata adaptor in the PCI slot. The easiest way is to get the model and rev direct of the circuit board then go to the manufacturers support page, find the model and download the driver that supports the rev.

This goes for other drivers too. Its the easiest way if you cannot download them direct via windows device manager. I assume you have tried right clicking the missing device driver and update driver software.

Another way is to get the missing driver details in the device manager, properties, driver tab.