Driving Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
What is everyones experiences with the practical test?

I did mine yesterday and sadly failed, getting two majors. Although I feel they are stupid and I am making a complaint against my examiner. One major was for being too slow apparently, I was going around 25-30 on a 30mph road, having to slow down to around 10mph occasionally because of obstacles and meet situations. My examinor claimed that I topped out at 18mph along that road? And somehow that resulted in 3 minors which is a major. And the other major was for hesitation, which I don't know where that came from, plus there was apparently only 2 incidents, where it should have been 3 to result in a major.

So has anyone else had bad experiences? Talking to my family and friends and it seems that there are a lot of unfair examiners for the practical test and apparently guys are often more harshly examined compared to girls

Not happy! :(

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Ah that's rubbish Wozz, really sorry to hear that :(

Me? First time, 9 minors. Didn't get what all the fuss was about from friends that either failed or struggled a lot :D

Granted my examiner did seem to be looking out of the passenger window quite a bit (he was drafted in from another test centre due to illness), but still :)

It is often cited as the first time a lot of young people will experience failure and as such often feels worse than it actually is.

It is also quite a subjective thing, as each examiner may see some things differently.

Driving too slowly is a pretty common fail point for some, and granted you have stated a few reasons, and obviously feel they were wrong (no harm going for it! :) ), but it does catch a lot of young people out as they are often focused on not speeding :)

End of the day, if your appeal isn't upheld, take it on the chin as a life and learning experience, go back and do it again, pass with as few minors as possible and then just forget all about that mean examiner as you tear up the streets (sensibly and safely of course...)

DED

rickne

Master Poster
I was expeting to hear that you were hand break turning around the roundabouts for drift bonuses or something? :p

Took me 3 attempts. And you know what it was the stereotypical grumpy old fart examiner that actually passed me. And it was the worst bit of driving of all 3 attempts. I made wrong turns and almost sweat myself blind for the fear of taking a hand off the wheel to mop my brow.

Still the main point is I got there in the end and now I couldnt live without my wheels.

kruppsy

Master
Unlucky dude, I failed first time. Similar to you. Going too slow on a national speed limit road (spotted the signs a bit late, but windy country road so couldn't really get my toe down anyway) and not enough observation on a reverse park (nailed the manouvre mind). This is going back some 13yrs though, but remember feeling hard done by. Everything felt so much more easier 2nd time, I was a lot more relaxed having experienced a test already, think I only got 3 minors.

I think they're making it harder generally to pass because of the shear numbers on the roads these days. Saying that though, there is probably a lot to be said for showing a bit of thigh! :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I don't think they're harsher on guys than girls (I know a girl who failed 8 times before she passed....) but I certainly think they're harsher on young drivers as they know they're more likely to have an accident. If they feel that you're going too slow because you're too anxious to be on the road and could cause an incident then that may be why. A lot of the time they will expect a fair amount of nerves regardless of who it is so it does sound slightly unfair.

Just take it on the chin mate :) You'll bounce back and now you'll know what to expect. I passed first time with 2 minors despite doing 37mph on a 30mph road for about 50m (she had to tell me I was speeding -.-). This was in the first 5 minutes of the test so I assumed I'd fail, relaxed for the rest of the test and was over the moon when I found out I'd passed. She'd put it down as a minor for not seeing a traffic sign rather than reckless speeding..

You'll learn from mistakes though and think carefully before making a complaint. It's highly unlikely they'll overturn their decision and if you have to take your test there again it could cause un-needed anxiety. Just re-book your test and get ready for the next one, now you'll know what to look out for :)

Deklore

Bright Spark
Took me 2 goes to pass my test. 1st time i failed because i wasnt taking enough care coming out of a blind junction and just to make sure, the examiner took me round again to make sure if i would make the same mistake (which i did, hence the failure).
I have to admit, going in that first test i was supremely confident and absolutely gutted i failed. 2nd try i wasnt as bothered but did everything right (apparently).

All i remember from doing the test is having my eyes dart around constantly. Always looking at my mirrors first every time the instructor gave me an instruction. Always checking speed etc.

The strange thing is (and im sure youve heard this before) but i didnt learn to drive properly until AFTER i passed my test. e.g being comfortable with the car, road etiquette, consistant reverse parking, clutch control etc.

In anycase good luck. Looks like you have good grounds for an appeal. If not then im sure you will pass the next time you take your test.:yes:

steaky360

Hard luck wozza :(

Unfortunately I'd kinda agree with Grimezy's assessment that its highly unlikely they'll overturn the decision. Just re-book and pass next time :) No harm in appealing I suppose, but I'd suggest you might be quicker at least just re-booking and passing rather than appealing.

I'm sure you'll pass next time!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I know that its a very very small chance of the decision being overturned, but I feel that I should at least get something for it, such as a refund, or priority on cancellations, because I've now booked one and I have to wait til december. And anyone who has been in the car with me knows that I am a really good driver and surprisingly sensible despite my reputation for speeding on Need for Speed and such :p
Its really annoying because I already have my car sitting outside :( and I have to carry on getting lifts to college because its too far to walk and there is no bus route to the college near here.

And its a weird system, I also got 9 minors in total, which is less than the two friends of mine that have passed so far and yet its still a fail. Like Deklore said, you don't learn a lot of things until after you have passed, like being able to relax more.

And yeh, ive already rebooked but sent an email as well complaining because I feel I was cheated out of passing

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
And yeh, ive already rebooked but sent an email as well complaining because I feel I was cheated out of passing
Unfortunately very little in life is fair :(, and what you think is unfair may have seemed perfectly logical to your examiner, so as has already been said, I highly doubt that the result would be overturned or you would get a refund.

If they gave the test money back to everyone who thought they have been unfairly failed, they would be in a lot of debt.

rickne

Master Poster
Guy at work is over 10 times failed now. He just can't hold it together in the test. If it takes that long then its for a real reason. Im sure that wont be you though ^^

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Unfortunately very little in life is fair :(, and what you think is unfair may have seemed perfectly logical to your examiner, so as has already been said, I highly doubt that the result would be overturned or you would get a refund.

If they gave the test money back to everyone who thought they have been unfairly failed, they would be in a lot of debt.

I doubt it too, but either way I think it was unfair and there is possibly an error on the marking sheet that doesn't really have anything to do with the way I was driving.

And if I had been failed for nearly causing an accident or for hitting a small child I wouldn't be so upset and annoyed right now (as horrible as it sounds). But for being cautious? pffft

And I'd be happy if I just got priority for cancellations because of the error so I can start driving properly.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Guy at work is over 10 times failed now. He just can't hold it together in the test. If it takes that long then its for a real reason. Im sure that wont be you though ^^

Yea I know a couple of people like this. I think it's pretty awful when it takes somebody that many tests, there should be a cut-off really where they say look, you're clearly not made to drive and you should come back in a few years and try again. To drive at an acceptable level 1 time out of 10 is just ridiculous. That's like saying once they pass 9 out of 10 journeys will involve some sort of major fault. I know a lot will come down to nerves but it can be just as nerve-racking driving alone than with an examiner at times.

I'm sure that won't be you though Wozza, I was just speculating there. Like you said, people have complimented you on your driving and you feel you should have passed which is a good sign to take into your next test. Like Rakk said though, a refund or an overturned decision is highly unlikely in this situation. You're certainly not the only to feel cheated out of failing a test and you won't be the last.

rickne

Master Poster
Sometimes you can be TOO cautious. Hesitation is one of the biggest issues with new drivers. However it took me 15 mins to do my manoeuvre on my test. The one I passed. :)

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
But for being cautious? pffft

When you pass your test you will realise that sometimes cautious drivers can be the most dangerous. They can slow down the traffic and cause congestion at junctions, etc, they can get anxious if they're waiting for too long to come out of a junction and feel the pressure building in the queue behind them so go for a gap that they really shouldn't, they can travel at speeds way too slow for the speed limit i.e. 30-35 on a 60 road almost forcing people to overtake which isn't always 100% safe to do so.

I'm not saying that's all going to happen to you, but examiners would rather see somebody confident keeping up to the speed limit while still carrying out all the correct observations and with confidence and anticipation to overtake when necessary or pull out of a junction into a gap despite cars being in view.

You should have been debriefed after the test about why you actually failed. Was the major for being too cautious or was it for something else? It doesn't matter how many minors you get, a major is a major and they will fail you regardless of if you've had a perfect drive other than that one incident. Did she explain properly why she'd failed you? I can't see it being an error on the sheet if I'm honest..

Rakk

The Awesome
Sometimes you can be TOO cautious. Hesitation is one of the biggest issues with new drivers.
These points are also the points that will infuriate the people driving behind you - if there are learner plates I forgive cars like that, because they're learners, however when stuck behind someone who is insisting on going at 10mph less than the speed limit (and where you can't get past and end up stuck behind them for what seems like forever) it really does get infuriating - and I'm generally a very passive person (so I never do anything about it, I stay at a decent distance and don't pressure them - but it still annoys me).

rickne

Master Poster
Idiotic old men plodding along at 50 on the inside lane going past junctions. Please quit driving !!!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
These points are also the points that will infuriate the people driving behind you - if there are learner plates I forgive cars like that, because they're learners, however when stuck behind someone who is insisting on going at 10mph less than the speed limit (and where you can't get past and end up stuck behind them for what seems like forever) it really does get infuriating - and I'm generally a very passive person (so I never do anything about it, I stay at a decent distance and don't pressure them - but it still annoys me).

Its a limit, not a target, one should not be forced to go the limit if they are not comfortable with it, ie 60mph on small country roads.

If you have 3 minors in a single category it results in a major. There is only 2 ticks in 'Hesitation' and apparently that is a major.
And I was penalized 3 times for apparently going too slow on one road, all he said was that I was slow on one road in the debriefing bit

And I don't see slowing down to 10mph on a mini roundabout with blocked view as hesitant, I'm not sure where the other hesitation was, possibly at the big roundabout that was very busy at the time, and I was waiting for quite a while for a car infront of me.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I have taken to going the speed limit all the way to and from work now.

Of course we all should anyway, but I do it just to **** off the people behind that clearly want to go 50 in a 30, or 70 in a 60 :)

Mwa...aha...ahahaha :D

Status
Not open for further replies.