Dual Boot W10/'Nix on 17.3" COSMOS VIII

allend66

Hi all,

I want a dual boot system (trying to ditch Windows but still have some needed apps), and I have researched dual booting. It seems Windows doesn't play nice with other OSs on the same drive, so was wondering if I could have a laptop with 3 HDDs (or SSDs): 1*win10, 1*linux distro, and a 3rd for data. In a desktop setup, ideally I would have the drives swappable so each OS would not 'know of the other's existance' so to speak. Is this possible on a 17.3" COSMOS VIII lappy please?

Thanks for any replies and your patience.
D

Cypher

If you dont want the OS to know about each other then just install them induvidually on a seperate drive each and use the BIOS to change the boot order when you want to change OS. No need to physically swap out drives.

allend66

@Cypher - thanks, I got that but on the configuration screen it wont let me have 2 OS drives with a data drive.
"You have chosen 2 x M.2 SSD drives, however the configuration you have selected can only support 1 x M.2 SSD drive(s). Please reduce the selection to 1 x M.2 SSD drive(s), or alternatively select a different processor/graphics card configuration. "
but both i5 and i7 processor wont take the config.. Any clues?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Apparently you need the GTX 1050... I don't know why...

Do you do anything that benefits from having a dedicated GPU? In which case the Cosmos may not be the best choice anyway

allend66

Apparently you need the GTX 1050... I don't know why...

Do you do anything that benefits from having a dedicated GPU? In which case the Cosmos may not be the best choice anyway

thanks - no special need for dedicated GPU. I want 17" screen, 16gb ram (so i can multitask with lag) and back-lit keyboard are must haves.. anything else is gravy. What do you suggest?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Checking other stores to see if you can get a laptop without a dGPU that you don't need for a lower price I guess.

And if not, carefully weighing up if you want to buy a GTX 1050 just for the extra M.2 slot, or whether you'd rather just have both OSes installed on 1 drive

allend66

Checking other stores to see if you can get a laptop without a dGPU that you don't need for a lower price I guess.

And if not, carefully weighing up if you want to buy a GTX 1050 just for the extra M.2 slot, or whether you'd rather just have both OSes installed on 1 drive
ok cheers.. :)

Cypher

That seems strange to me. Unless there is a choice of 2 motherboards and the graphics card is pre soldered on.
Maybe try contacting the sales team? Maybe its just bad progamming of the configurator.