Dual booting Fedora with Windows 10 - UEFI

ColMur

Hi, I have been struggling for several hours now to install Fedora alongside Windows 10.

I have 2 NVMe drives, one contains Windows 10 and I would like to install Fedora on the second.

The issue I'm having is that Fedora only displays a single Specialized drive called mpatha which contains paths to nvme0n1 and nvme1n1. This doesn't allow me to install on the second NVMe and instead wants to overwrite Windows.

Has anybody been successful in installing CentOS or Fedora?

Chassis & Display
Fusion Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Quad Core Processor i7-10510U (1.8GHz, 4.9GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® MX250 - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 12
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
AC Adaptor
1 x 65W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre Cloverleaf UK Power Cable
Battery
Fusion Series Integrated 91WH Lithium Ion Battery
Sound Card
2 Channel High Def. Audio + SoundBlaster™ Cinema
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x USB 3.1 PORT (Type C) + 2 x USB 3.1 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Keyboard Language
FUSION SERIES SINGLE COLOUR BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD

Update
It seems this is an issue with Fedora/CentOS when using identical NVMe

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
Have not experienced anything like this, although some time since I used Fedora. This is a pretty clumsy and long-winded way of doing things but may be worth trying if you have time. Take out the m2 with Windows on and then install Fedora on the other. Hopefully after replacing the Windows drive you should be able to use both.

PCS have an open case policy so you can work on the machine without voiding the warranty.

ColMur

Have not experienced anything like this, although some time since I used Fedora. This is a pretty clumsy and long-winded way of doing things but may be worth trying if you have time. Take out the m2 with Windows on and then install Fedora on the other. Hopefully after replacing the Windows drive you should be able to use both.

PCS have an open case policy so you can work on the machine without voiding the warranty.

Thank you for telling me about the open case policy, my next step was to contact PCS because I have a terrible habit of never following the "RTFM" mantra.

I've installed Ubuntu but Fedora is a lot closer toward the production server that my software will run on so I'll do that sometime this weekend.

ColMur

Fedora is now installed, I removed the Windows nvme and installed Fedora on the secondary.

I then updated the grub configuration when both drives were back in,
Bash:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Following this I had to update grub to change the GUI resolution - or alternatively disable GUI mode and use console only